SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Not really a problem, more of a query.

For some reason, in one browser the tools appear in a drop-down at the top of the thread (How I always thought that they were supposed to) displayed with fancy-pants JavaScript/DHTML/Whatever, but in a different browser, they appear at the bottom in a standard HTML drop-down menu.

The two browsers actually happen to use the exact same rendering engine, and the only real difference is the name.. any idea's why it's doing this?

Oh ok...hadn't heard of Shiira before.
smile.gif

I suspect it might have something to do with the vB source code checking the name of the browser through the user-agent string, and displaying the appropriate "style" based on that. Shiira, not being a major player in the browser market, might not be on the list, so it might be treating it as a (old) browser that doesn't support the fancy features, although it actually is possible.
If that is, in fact, the problem...there might be 2 solutions. One would be to edit the vB source code to include Shiira (doubt EP's going to have the inclination to do this =P), or another is to see if it's possible to change the user-agent string of Shiira to include the word "Safari" (I know this can be done with Firefox using an extension).

Well, I thought that too, but I think that the vB3 developers can't be that naive, surely?

Plus looking at the UA strings, it doesn't seem that would cause it, although it's still a possibility..

Safari
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.7

Shiira
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.2 (KHTML, like Gecko, Safari) Shiira/0.9.2

I'll try changing Shirra to match Safari and see if it makes any difference.

Haha, no way. I changed it to match the Safari string exactly, and it works. I'm sorry, but that is stupid. *bangs head on desk*

*off-topic*

What happened to the option where you could delete your own post?

You still can, unless becomming a legacy mod has messed that up (an overlooked tick-box can do such terrible things)

Moved to Fixed

SPeedY_B said:
You still can, unless becomming a legacy mod has messed that up (an overlooked tick-box can do such terrible things)

Moved to Fixed

I guess so.

~bk said:
*off-topic*

What happened to the option where you could delete your own post?
I seem to have lost that ability too! New thread started in Current problems.

SPeedY_B said:
Haha, no way. I changed it to match the Safari string exactly, and it works. I'm sorry, but that is stupid. *bangs head on desk*
Wakes up next day with sore head:p

Wouldn't the world be better if we all used IE :p

Hrm, i wonder where in the vB code this would exist. BRB SPeedY_B

My browser is now advertising itself as Shiira and it seems to be fixed. It could however also be vB catching my spoofing. Let me know SPeedY_B.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back