• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

This is odd...

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political User
Cracked open a new set of XP disks today. Each in their own black vinyl sleeve, alone, that is the key word here. Alone. So anyway, I start an install, it gets about 75% done and then prompts me to insert disk 2. I've never seen a regular XP install request another disk. The only time I can think of a 2nd disk was early Media Center versions, and who used that? I cancel the prompt for 2nd disk and the XP install finishes. But now app installs fail. I dont have the error code in front of me but it points to a MS page that tells me to do a SFC /SCANNOW. Thing is ... I can't. When I try, it scans most of the system files and then, you guessed it, asks me for disk 2. I really have no idea what to do here. Ideas?

Xie

- geek -
Are these perhaps "restore" discs from an OEM? The 2nd disc would be mostly the crap they load your system up with.

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political User
I thought of that too. But they were new volume license disks from MS or whoever our vendor is. I did some checking and it seems that I might have grabbed the wrong key and installed the tablet edition. I guess that pen support and all the various tools that version uses are on a 2nd disk. I've never actually installed this disk before because we have it as an image on our server so all the files are in one package. I also didn't know that the keys determined the version installed. Learn something new everyday!

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political User
Could be some new release that integrates so many hotfixes that it just won't fit on a single cd anymore, much like media center as you say.

Or just a naff disk, its the serial that is important tho really and I can't see it being too hard to find a copy of an XP image somewhere these days :)

binoyxj

PrOuD InDiAn
Great! I have media center on one of our PCs here ( for media features alone) . Annoying when it asks for 2nd CD whenever i format my PC. Like EP said first CD might have saturated and they are now including a 2nd one :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies