This is odd...

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
Cracked open a new set of XP disks today. Each in their own black vinyl sleeve, alone, that is the key word here. Alone. So anyway, I start an install, it gets about 75% done and then prompts me to insert disk 2. I've never seen a regular XP install request another disk. The only time I can think of a 2nd disk was early Media Center versions, and who used that? I cancel the prompt for 2nd disk and the XP install finishes. But now app installs fail. I dont have the error code in front of me but it points to a MS page that tells me to do a SFC /SCANNOW. Thing is ... I can't. When I try, it scans most of the system files and then, you guessed it, asks me for disk 2. I really have no idea what to do here. Ideas?

Are these perhaps "restore" discs from an OEM? The 2nd disc would be mostly the crap they load your system up with.

I thought of that too. But they were new volume license disks from MS or whoever our vendor is. I did some checking and it seems that I might have grabbed the wrong key and installed the tablet edition. I guess that pen support and all the various tools that version uses are on a 2nd disk. I've never actually installed this disk before because we have it as an image on our server so all the files are in one package. I also didn't know that the keys determined the version installed. Learn something new everyday!

Could be some new release that integrates so many hotfixes that it just won't fit on a single cd anymore, much like media center as you say.

Or just a naff disk, its the serial that is important tho really and I can't see it being too hard to find a copy of an XP image somewhere these days :)

Great! I have media center on one of our PCs here ( for media features alone) . Annoying when it asks for 2nd CD whenever i format my PC. Like EP said first CD might have saturated and they are now including a 2nd one :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back