The Official Windows Mobile Discussion Thread

Re: New toy: Windows Mobile 5.0 phone

madmatt said:
Geffy, whoops =) Oh well, he has it now.

Derek, yes. I have my business email setup for POP3 right now.
That's what I thought, which begs the next question -

How is the sync process, is it bloated or problematic? I would assume your Outlook is closed (when you are away, thus utilizing send/receive on phone), and then when you get back to the office you use Activesync.

If they are both open, not sure where the message would go. I suppose it would be a bummer if the computer was left on with Outlook open, and your phone wasn't getting the messages as Outlook does a send/receive more often.

Not trying to be wishy-washy, but I won't have a server to run this for a little bit, and was looking for ways to fanagle useage of the phone before I can configure/run exchange. How extensive is your folder structure?

I have IMAP with multiple folders running on my BSD server which my m600 connects up to, doesnt seem to have any problems with that though admittedly I havent really told many people about the email address yet ;) :p

Derek, the sync process is cake. I connect the phone when I am at my home office so it charges at the same time.

I setup my account to leave a copy of the message on the server for 24 hours. That way my phone will download the messages too (I never close Outlook and it checks for email every 5 minutes, the phone checks every 15 minutes). I only have the sync process setup to keep three days worth of email on my phone.

My folder structure is becoming more extensive. I am creating folders for each customer under another folder. Then I have folders for hardware and software vendors. So on.

Found out a few minutes ago I get an INCREDIBLE discount on Cingular phones since I work for ESPN. I have been looking long and hard at a phone like this, but am going through each and every aspect to ensure the cost is justified. I have Verizon currently, and most of the campus does NOT get coverage in regards to service for Verizon. However, we have Treos through Cingular already, which get coverage across the whole place. I can get the model Madmatt has for about $318, new from Cingular. Not sure if that's a good price, but the slashing of it on their website is sexy :D

$50.00 mai-in rebate if you buy before June 1.

NetRyder said:
Yeah, it's not hard to setup Direct Push.
I'm just waiting for T-Mobile to officially release the ROM update that enables it, because I just can't get myself to install an unofficial, unsupported ROM on this, and risk turning it into a brick. :D
www.jafwm.com very cheap too btw

Damn you madmatt.

Had a discussion with him (madmatt) on AIM the other day about the Verizon model (XV6700) vs the Cingular model (8150). The Cingular product is a bit sexier IMO, cheaper, and also doesn't require the connection manually before doing a send/receive.

Unfortunately, I'm under contract with VZW until September. Have to wonder if it's worth the early termination or not.

all of a sudden my pictures and video won't play on my laptop when I drag them over from the mobile unit to my desktop

anyone know anything about this?

Derek, normally if you are less than six months until the end of your contract they will charge you a portion of each months bill. This is how Cingular did it the first time I left them over six years ago.

Perris, not sure if something happened with your conversion settings. Pictures (only BMP's) and video shouldn't be converted.

right now I can only play my videos with vlc.

What format?

I have another question. I signed in using MSN Messenger on my phone and now Hotmail has added itself to my list of mailboxes. How do I remove it?

Also, has anyone figured out how to clear the most recently used applications from the start menu?

madmatt said:
Also, has anyone figured out how to clear the most recently used applications from the start menu?
soft reset works :p

I learned that while trying to get my Orange M600 to sync with my iBook over bluetooth. Took a bit of rebooting of both to get the M600 to actually see that the iBook had an ActiveSync service on it :p

I solved my problem, it was kerio keeping the conversion from happening

I don't know how to do what you're asking, I like the programs I use in the start menue so I can launch them with the toggle switch and usually don't have to take out the probe.

I love using the phone with one hand and I guess that feature facilitates the ease of use for me

Nah I'm on contract through Sept '07 with Verizon, looks like I may have to settle for their phone. Want to go hold it in my hand a bit more first though...

Did you ask a Verizon tech if there was a way to stay connected?

Not yet, but I'd rather do that in person. I'm going back to the local warehouse over the next few days to take a closer look at the phone - will do it then :)

Normally I love black, but for some reason the Cingular (silver) model is so much sexier.

madmatt said:
Did you ask a Verizon tech if there was a way to stay connected?
there is a registry hack to stay connected to the internet if that'w what you mean

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-5FF7-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\Connections\Sprint PCS Vision

Change the "AlwaysOn" dword value to "1"

Softreset

perris said:
there is a registry hack to stay connected to the internet if that'w what you mean

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-5FF7-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\Connections\Sprint PCS Vision

Change the "AlwaysOn" dword value to "1"

Softreset
I believe that is what he was referring to. I was talking to him on AIM the other day and he mentioned with the VWZ model, you have to manually connect to send/receive e-mails.

I will definitely have to read over that thread you have of tweaks :) Do you have the XV6700 Perris?

mine is the ppc 6700

same phone but with more native features, like viideo camera pre installed

This might seem like a noobly post and I don't have enough time to read all the threads and post here even though I'd like to, but I wanted to get outlook to snag my emails off of hotmail and I also wanted to get it on my Smart Phone 6700. Can I do that also can I get MSN on my pocket pc?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back