• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

System Properties tweak.

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I am looking for the thread a while back on how to change the icon or pic and mod the "System Properties". (right click on My Computer->Properties). I can't seem to locate the thread, but I do remember it. I would like to change the pic in there.

Thanks in advance.

Heeter

Heeter

Thanks NetRyder!! I am going to go there.

I do remember that one, I have been looking for it since yesterday, BMan.

Heeter

Heeter

I am using ResHacker, doing just like Bman says in the thread, and I still can't change anything.
Been at it for the last two hours with Reshack, with no luck.
There must be a better way.

Heeter

Originally posted by Heeter
I am using ResHacker, doing just like Bman says in the thread, and I still can't change anything.
Been at it for the last two hours with Reshack, with no luck.
There must be a better way.

Heeter
You could try rebooting after you make the changes, in case you didn't already try that.
Also, have you made sure you deleted sysdm.cpl from the system32/dllcache folder, because if you don't WFP kicks in and replaces the file with the default one automatically in the background.

Heeter

No I didn't reboot. Gonna try that right this sec.

I thought that I was modifying the sysdm file, not outright deleting it. With what do I replace it with? AmI suppose to recreate a new one, is that it?

Thanks NetRyder.

Heeter

When you modify the sysdm.cpl file in ResHacker, and save it, you're replacing the default sysdm.cpl file. WFP detects the change, and replaces it with the original version if it's found in the dllcache folder. Because of this, you need to delete any versions of sysdm.cpl other than the one found in the system32 folder.

Let me know if either of the suggestions worked.

Heeter

Ha- that's what's happening!! So I delete the one in the system32 folder and mod the one in the ServicePack folder.Got it Now!!!

Thanks, I will try that right flippin' now, NetRyder

Heeter

Actually, you delete the one in the ServicePack folder, modify the one in system32, and save the file in system32 itself.
WFP will then try to replace the modified file in system32, but it will be unable to find any backup copies since you deleted the file from dllcache and ServicePack, so it will display a warning asking you to insert your XP CD. Just hit Cancel at the prompt, and you should be all set.
:)

Originally posted by coathanger007
Whoa...so many steps. Just use Xteq X-Setup
That's always an option. :)
But it's sometimes nice to know what you're doing to your system rather than leaving it to third-party software. Just a matter of choice, really.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies