System Properties tweak.

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I am looking for the thread a while back on how to change the icon or pic and mod the "System Properties". (right click on My Computer->Properties). I can't seem to locate the thread, but I do remember it. I would like to change the pic in there.

Thanks in advance.

Heeter

i made one here before, but dont know where it went now.

Thanks NetRyder!! I am going to go there.

I do remember that one, I have been looking for it since yesterday, BMan.

Heeter

I am using ResHacker, doing just like Bman says in the thread, and I still can't change anything.
Been at it for the last two hours with Reshack, with no luck.
There must be a better way.

Heeter

Originally posted by Heeter
I am using ResHacker, doing just like Bman says in the thread, and I still can't change anything.
Been at it for the last two hours with Reshack, with no luck.
There must be a better way.

Heeter

You could try rebooting after you make the changes, in case you didn't already try that.
Also, have you made sure you deleted sysdm.cpl from the system32/dllcache folder, because if you don't WFP kicks in and replaces the file with the default one automatically in the background.

No I didn't reboot. Gonna try that right this sec.

I thought that I was modifying the sysdm file, not outright deleting it. With what do I replace it with? AmI suppose to recreate a new one, is that it?

Thanks NetRyder.

Heeter

When you modify the sysdm.cpl file in ResHacker, and save it, you're replacing the default sysdm.cpl file. WFP detects the change, and replaces it with the original version if it's found in the dllcache folder. Because of this, you need to delete any versions of sysdm.cpl other than the one found in the system32 folder.

Let me know if either of the suggestions worked.

Ha- that's what's happening!! So I delete the one in the system32 folder and mod the one in the ServicePack folder.Got it Now!!!

Thanks, I will try that right flippin' now, NetRyder

Heeter

Actually, you delete the one in the ServicePack folder, modify the one in system32, and save the file in system32 itself.
WFP will then try to replace the modified file in system32, but it will be unable to find any backup copies since you deleted the file from dllcache and ServicePack, so it will display a warning asking you to insert your XP CD. Just hit Cancel at the prompt, and you should be all set.
:)

Coathanger,

You make it sound soooo dam easy. hehehe

Heeter

Originally posted by coathanger007
Whoa...so many steps. Just use Xteq X-Setup

That's always an option. :)
But it's sometimes nice to know what you're doing to your system rather than leaving it to third-party software. Just a matter of choice, really.

You can see exactly what's happening in X-Setup because a simple right click gives you the code ! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back