• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Switch or a router ?

nirvana_1959

OSNN One Post Wonder
My home network usies Linksys BEFSR41 router to share cable interner. All the rooms in the house are connected to router's ports. In one room I need to use more than 1 computer. Should I use a switch or a router (both of them are comparably priced and one doesn't have price advanatage over the other) ?

Thanks,
Anil

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political User
Right, if you already have a router then all you need is a hub to connect to the router's uplink port.

nirvana_1959

OSNN One Post Wonder
So a router will be overkill ? I thought I will buy a router for 20C$ and use it as router (has more features) and use the existing 6yr old router as a switch.

Should I go for a hub or a switch. Both are priced about the same.

Thanks.

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
You already have a router. All you need is a way to add more connections to it. A 4 port hub will do the trick.

Take your existing router and run the line from port 4 (for example) to the hub's uplink port.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saryrehgy