Switch or a router ?

nirvana_1959

OSNN Newbie
My home network usies Linksys BEFSR41 router to share cable interner. All the rooms in the house are connected to router's ports. In one room I need to use more than 1 computer. Should I use a switch or a router (both of them are comparably priced and one doesn't have price advanatage over the other) ?

Thanks,
Anil

By a mini-four port hub for the room that you need multiple connections.

Right, if you already have a router then all you need is a hub to connect to the router's uplink port.

So a router will be overkill ? I thought I will buy a router for 20C$ and use it as router (has more features) and use the existing 6yr old router as a switch.

Should I go for a hub or a switch. Both are priced about the same.

Thanks.

You already have a router. All you need is a way to add more connections to it. A 4 port hub will do the trick.

Take your existing router and run the line from port 4 (for example) to the hub's uplink port.

never buy a hub, they are stupid layer 1 devices. Buy a switch. You do not need another router. Buy a simple 4 port switch.

A hub isn't a big deal for a small network.

Especially home networks. I used one for several years before I had wireless.

Worked fine for me.

muzikool said:
A hub isn't a big deal for a small network.

no but for a tiny bit more money you can get a switch. Switches are cheap these days.

If a switch could be had for the same price then I don't see a reason not to get one.

I am going with the switch!

I am buying Dynex 5-Port Ethernet Switch (DX-ESW5) for C$15.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back