Sufficient Power Supply?

bikemanAMD

OSNN Junior Addict
Re: Power Supply Questioon

I got my Motherboard Replaced under warranty last November, and got a new Case, and Power supply, local shop said it's perfect for what I use, been leaving it on 24/7 lately--unknown what brand the supply in here is though, they said 350 watt was fine for what I do with it. Should i be worried, or not even worry on my PSU, I only have 1 game I see graphics glitches--Need For Speed Most Wanted, but those have always been there, think it's just a buggy game, or it don't like my ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB AGP 8X(running at AGP4X card) since it crashes when run on AGP8X with this replacement board.

My CPU is AMD Sempron 2600 Palermo Core 1.61 Ghz 64bit.

This Was replaced along with my old Motherboard for free--so I couldn't really complain--Replaced parts

Case/PSU
Motherboard
CPU
Ram
VIdeo Card

The problem with old board was that ram slots were bad, and it was having BSOD's alot--Machine_check_exception, so shop decided to replace alot of the parts, and it's been working fine since.

OTher Components

60gb master hard drive
80gb slave
Liteon DVD-ROm
Liteon CD-rw
Gigabyte KVM800M Rev 2.x Socket 754 Motherboard
Video card ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB
Floppy Drive Dead, but soon to be replaced

No other cards, Case fans 1 80mm front, 1 80mm side, 1 90mm rear, CPU Fan, and of course Power Supply fan

That power seems a bit small, i dont know ati card though so i cant tell if its a drain. i would use at least a 400w psu probably higher. But im not completely sure.

I'm not completely sure either, I think he told me it had 350 Watt, but i'm not sure if that's what's in there or not, next time I open the case to replace floppy drive or install rounded cables, i'll take a look at Power Supply. It runs well otherwise, it runs Half Life 2 fine, Joint Ops, Battlefield 2, FLight Sim 2004, Full Spec Warrior, Splinter Cell, and everything I throw at it.

Moved posts to new thread as it was for a different setup/question.

personally I would say 350 is more than adequate for those needs - but not for any significant upgrading...

also there are 350W PSU's and there are 350W PSU's - it all depends on the particulars - if you give us a brand or model - that will be far more revealing....

350 is ok, but a 400w would be better, but more than that, the psu also needs to be of quality.

my friend has a Sempron 2600 and he has a 350,(Staples special :p) however if you would ever want to upgrade I'd get at least a 400-450w.

Well I will take a look in there later on sometime, and get the brand/model of the Power Supply--as for any sufficent upgrading, i am not planning to in the future, new floppy drive, and new dvd-burner, possibly new video card in the future, but at this time, not gonna upgrade.

then don't worry about it then, almost a pointless question....

... when you get a new v/card, then you'll probably need to upgrade. But to be honest why you or anyone would leave their pc on 24/7 unless you are actually doing something on it 24/7 is just pointless and a total waste of electricity.

ah - but we are all hoping he might like the folding badge (check it out BikemanAMD, stickied in the Green Room) - then he has a definite reason to leave the PC on 24/7.... and maybe he likes the "You've got mail" thing going on?.... Ours is not to reason why (unless we want to post in Hard Talk mebbe)

Well I leave it on to do virus scans some nights, spyware, downloads, or just to be available in the morning when I wake up...sometimes it goes into suspend overnight if nothing else is planned that night--my sister's left her's on for over 2 1/2 years..

Plus I heard from a few friends in real life--that it's better to leave PC on 24/7--unless she's wrong, if it's gonna storm or anything, then i shutdown for the night..but lately been on alot.

Well I don't know how much she reboots it or anything, but it's rarely off ever--and password protected, so couldn't turn it off even if I wanted to lol..so end up just leaving it. She did the same with her old PC as well, that was running Windows 98SE.

Ok Looked in my case--and couldn't read brand of Power supply, but it did say 400Watt on it, so I guess it's good, did see a label on one side, ACI, but I didn't see nothing much else.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back