• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Stopping Windows Protection

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
OK i'm trying to hack a file which I am having trouble doing. Everytime I hack it & then replace it in windows the system straight away with no option to stop it put the original back. How can I stop windows from protecting files?

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
No go. I think I'm doing it right. I'm using reshacker & save/save as. When I replace the file I end up with the changes being restored & also another file created called sysdm.cpl_original along with sysdm.cpl.

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
That'll be right. :rolleyes: I was trying to change the original file not a copy. Once I used the copy & then replaced the original all was well. :) Thanx.

Found this on my hard disk which I'm sure I saved it from this forum, assuming you are hacking Explorer.exe:

Windows XP has a feature called Windows File Protection.
This feature stops you from changing important system files, that could leave your operating system non-fuctional.
The file that we need to edit, Explorer.exe, is protected by Windows File Protection.
What we need to do, is make Explorer.exe not part of Windows File Protection.

Find and Edit this xml file: %systemroot%\system32\Restore\filelist.xml

If you can't find it do the following:
In windows explorer click Tools->Folder Options->View
and scroll down where it says Hide protected operating system files (recommend) and un-check it.
Also click where it says Show hidden files and folders, and uncheck Hide extensions for unknown file types.
Hit Ok.
Now, you should see filelist.xml listed.

Right click on filelist.xml and click properties.
Uncheck where it says Read Only and then click OK.
Now we can edit filelist.xml.

Right click filelist.xml again, and click Open with then on Notepad.
This is where Windows File Protection looks to see if it needs to protect a file or not.
Find the following codes:

<Exclude>
<REC>%windir%\explorer.ini</REC>
<REC>%windir%\system.ini</REC>
<REC>%windir%\tasks\desktop.ini</REC>

Insert the <REC>%windir%\explorer.ini</REC> after <Exclude>

Click File > Save

Go to folder: %systemroot%\system32\dllcache.
In this directory, find and delete Explorer.exe.
This is a backup copy of Explorer.exe and windows might try and replace this copy with your hacked copy if it isn't deleted.
After you delete it, windows will popup a message, just hit cancel then yes.
With SP1 and System Restore on, you might also find the file in the following folders:
%systemroot%/LastGood/system32 and
%systemroot%/ServicePckFiles/i386

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
Nope not too late zalood. I'm trying to hack the sysdm.cpl file you taked about in the system properties thread. On the copy of that file I have made the changes I want. When I replace it in system32 if I open it straight away it is changed. If I close it then open it again it is back to original. Very frustrating.
Oh & btw I didn't have that tweak for file protection. Must go see what is what. I don't have any of those other folders but might try a search & see what comes up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithgonzaal