Stopping Windows Protection

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
OK i'm trying to hack a file which I am having trouble doing. Everytime I hack it & then replace it in windows the system straight away with no option to stop it put the original back. How can I stop windows from protecting files?

changing it to read only has worked for me in the past

No go. I think I'm doing it right. I'm using reshacker & save/save as. When I replace the file I end up with the changes being restored & also another file created called sysdm.cpl_original along with sysdm.cpl.

That'll be right. :rolleyes: I was trying to change the original file not a copy. Once I used the copy & then replaced the original all was well. :) Thanx.

Found this on my hard disk which I'm sure I saved it from this forum, assuming you are hacking Explorer.exe:

Windows XP has a feature called Windows File Protection.
This feature stops you from changing important system files, that could leave your operating system non-fuctional.
The file that we need to edit, Explorer.exe, is protected by Windows File Protection.
What we need to do, is make Explorer.exe not part of Windows File Protection.

Find and Edit this xml file: %systemroot%\system32\Restore\filelist.xml

If you can't find it do the following:
In windows explorer click Tools->Folder Options->View
and scroll down where it says Hide protected operating system files (recommend) and un-check it.
Also click where it says Show hidden files and folders, and uncheck Hide extensions for unknown file types.
Hit Ok.
Now, you should see filelist.xml listed.

Right click on filelist.xml and click properties.
Uncheck where it says Read Only and then click OK.
Now we can edit filelist.xml.

Right click filelist.xml again, and click Open with then on Notepad.
This is where Windows File Protection looks to see if it needs to protect a file or not.
Find the following codes:

<Exclude>
<REC>%windir%\explorer.ini</REC>
<REC>%windir%\system.ini</REC>
<REC>%windir%\tasks\desktop.ini</REC>

Insert the <REC>%windir%\explorer.ini</REC> after <Exclude>

Click File > Save

Go to folder: %systemroot%\system32\dllcache.
In this directory, find and delete Explorer.exe.
This is a backup copy of Explorer.exe and windows might try and replace this copy with your hacked copy if it isn't deleted.
After you delete it, windows will popup a message, just hit cancel then yes.

With SP1 and System Restore on, you might also find the file in the following folders:
%systemroot%/LastGood/system32 and
%systemroot%/ServicePckFiles/i386

Nope not too late zalood. I'm trying to hack the sysdm.cpl file you taked about in the system properties thread. On the copy of that file I have made the changes I want. When I replace it in system32 if I open it straight away it is changed. If I close it then open it again it is back to original. Very frustrating.
Oh & btw I didn't have that tweak for file protection. Must go see what is what. I don't have any of those other folders but might try a search & see what comes up.

I edited the hidden xml file to exclude the one I'm trying to change. Same result. :(

At last. Finally got it. The dllcache was hidden also. The file was also in there. DOH!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back