StartClock

Might have found a bug. This has only happened since upgrading startclock.

When playing full screen games the clock when coming back to windows is wrong.

Started playing half life 1 at 16.46. Getting back into windows it was 16.16 then jumped to 16.37. Tha actual time was around 17.35.

I was going to turn the clock off then on again but hit the wrong button. :rolleyes: Had to reboot instead.

Hmm, it could be a bug with the new memory usage.

The way the clock mechanism is setup is to save memory. It requests information using functions as little as possilbe them extrapolates the correct time. When resources are low the internal clock gets thrown out of wack, what should take 1 second to calculate now has a delay, affecting the clock output.

I guess I'll have to get it to reference the actual time more often to fix it...

I have also found some situations where StartClock will actually crash, but I think this is rather the VScript crashing than the StartClock - it exits and has to be restarted after displaying a script error dialog. If I get it occur again (I think it can be reproduced but forget how) then I will take a screenie and give you recipe!

I think I killed it. :(

Had steam open downloading & first I noticed the seconds were not counting regularly. Then it stopped counting any time at all. Put it back to a basic 24 hour clock & it still stops running........as in keeping time.

It's even losing time just browsing around.

:dead: So much for reducing resources!

Fixed version using old resource handling in a bit.

Seems to be OK now. Played HL2 for 45 minutes & had no issues. Seconds were ticking over nicely.

Good stuff. :)

Oh good, thanks for testing that.

StartClock v1.1 fixes the time lag issues people were having.

how do I dissable the native clock?

this is VERY nice btw

one suggestion...mine has an out of symetry space at the end of the date...any way to make that smaller?

see my screeny

Attachments

• start clock (Small).jpg
    start clock (Small).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 108
The symmetry issue you see there is because I've had trouble figuring out a working size formula. It can be fixed per theme, but I'm thinking of doing away with the automatic sizing and having a slider control the width of the bar for the next version.

I'll upload a temporarily fixed version for classic sized themes in a few min.

You can disable the native clock by right-clicking the startbar going to properties and unchecking "Show the clock", you'll need to restart explorer.exe for the changes to take effect.

I still don't get the hover balloons on the forum though...I like those...how do I tell if I downloaded the latest version?

The file version can be found by right-clicking StartClock.exe, clicking the "Version" tab and selecting "File Version" from the list. For old versions (before the new naming conventions), it has to be decompiled and the version is listed at the top of the source!

I'll add an about button, and the ability to update from the site in the next versions.

The missing balloon buttons are strange. I've only been able to duplicate it when system resources are low, or on slow systems. I'll add a fix and see if it helps in the temp version.

I've got plenty of memory and a pretty good processor that's not under pressure right now

Here is a version to work with classic sized themes without the extra space on the edges. It should work on any theme about the same height and width's of classic, larger themes should stay with version 1.1

Let me know if the balloon issue still appears for you with this version.

Download StartClock v1.11 - for classic themes only

Since I removed the installer, there really isn't much in the way of installing.

Just exit StartClock if it is currently running (CTRL + X), delete your old copy, then run the new version.

no differance chaos...it still has a margin on the right, and still no baloons

I'm gonna head off for the night...thanx for trying to work this out for me

It does not sound like the new version is running, you should try erasing your cache and making sure the startclock.exe process does not exist before running the new version labeled "StartClock v1.11 - classic themes only.zip".

It is located in the beta section, the version on the mainpage is still the official release and not the tweaked classic version.

when you release it final, make sure I get a changelog ;D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back