• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

spyware question

mooo

thecyberninja
Ok, I am working on neighbors computer and I am lost. I got rid of all the spyware BUT i am trying to change the desktop icon and it won't let me.. Its stuck on some spyware image and i can't edit/change in settings. I am thinking active desktop is on but I can't find the place to check.. Think of anything else that would cause this??

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
XP?

Right click desktop
Properties
Desktop tab
Customize Desktop
Web tab

If the web tab is missing you need to use gpedit.msc (only available in Professional) to re-add it.

User Configuration
Administrative Templates
Desktop
Active Desktop
Enable Active Desktop = Enabled

Active Desktop is always on in XP Home/Professional.

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
If it is the You computer Maybe Infected message, that is Spyaxe or WinHound, you need extra tools to remove these. Post a HijackThis log.

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
RESOLUTION TO ADD WEB TAB
Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT

Navigate to the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Delete the two values NoActiveDesktopChanges & NoActiveDesktop in the right-pane

Navigate to the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

Delete the value NoComponents in both the above locations.

mooo

thecyberninja
I tried to do that regedit change, I can find the 1st key but not the others :( I am about to take SS of the desktop and post

mooo

thecyberninja
ohh didn't see that 1st post you did j79 sorry :( was working on matt's idea first. Been a long week of work and dealing with peoples new pc's they messed with from xmas :( I will try that now

mooo

thecyberninja
holy **** it worked haha.. j79zlr == the coolest.. might want to sticky that because DAMN it was helpful :p

btw thanks for all the help mattmatt and j79 :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdawgintown