spyware question

mooo

thecyberninja
Ok, I am working on neighbors computer and I am lost. I got rid of all the spyware BUT i am trying to change the desktop icon and it won't let me.. Its stuck on some spyware image and i can't edit/change in settings. I am thinking active desktop is on but I can't find the place to check.. Think of anything else that would cause this??

XP?

Right click desktop
Properties
Desktop tab
Customize Desktop
Web tab

If the web tab is missing you need to use gpedit.msc (only available in Professional) to re-add it.

User Configuration
Administrative Templates
Desktop
Active Desktop
Enable Active Desktop = Enabled

Active Desktop is always on in XP Home/Professional.

i looked for that, didn't show up lol... why i am lost :p

xp home but hsouldn't be differet

If it is the You computer Maybe Infected message, that is Spyaxe or WinHound, you need extra tools to remove these. Post a HijackThis log.

RESOLUTION TO ADD WEB TAB
Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT

Navigate to the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Delete the two values NoActiveDesktopChanges & NoActiveDesktop in the right-pane

Navigate to the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

Delete the value NoComponents in both the above locations.

I tried to do that regedit change, I can find the 1st key but not the others :( I am about to take SS of the desktop and post

ohh didn't see that 1st post you did j79 sorry :( was working on matt's idea first. Been a long week of work and dealing with peoples new pc's they messed with from xmas :( I will try that now

holy **** it worked haha.. j79zlr == the coolest.. might want to sticky that because DAMN it was helpful :p

btw thanks for all the help mattmatt and j79 :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back