Sound media format conversion

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend an application for converting between the prevelant audio formats. Would be nice if it were versatile enough to cover many, and especially OGG which I think is technically a good WTG, but in this instance I am actually thinking of .RM to .MP3

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
There's no point converting compressed formats, you'll just loose quality.

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
you may be right but...?

SPeedY_B said:
There's no point converting compressed formats, you'll just loose quality.
surely in the world of digital music you can take it back to an uncompressed master and recompress to the new algorithm.

I do not doubt your answer may be practically correct for all I know, but my brain hurts if I try to believe it in theoretical terms! And regardless of wuality I have a need (making party CD up, friend is giving me .rm files, my burn software accepts .mp3) and I am sure others do sometimes - just wondering what's out there.

SPeedY_B

You can't. Once something is compressed it's quality is lost forever.
Also mp3 isn't a format you should burn to CD. Your software will simply convert it to wav before-hand anyway. Converting RM to wav (dependant on it's original quality) will sound horrid.

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Ok I get it - the compression technology is "lossy", and then I agree there will be some loss unavoidably and things could get ugly. Seems a shame there isn't a more standard format that manages to have loss-less (or should I say "less lossy"?!) compression around.... or maybe someone here will tell me which format that may be?

I have to say though I have nurnt a few CD's after ripping into MP3 and they have sounded damn close to my ears - then maybe I did bad things to my ears back in the seventies and eighties and cannot discriminate so well any more the finer nuances of the music.

Thanks for that Mutt - anyone know of any free/share ones because it's likely I may only use this the once so reluctant to shell out.

Dadx2mj

Happy Camper
Another vote for dbpoweramp!!! Great little program it is easy to use works good and is FREE!!!

maz4sue

DJ / Student
For creating Mp3s from CDs try AudioGrabber or GoldWave.

For burning CDRWIN is excellent, it will encode Mp3s on the fly.

The MP3 format is an excellent format and anyone who thinks they can tell the difference between a good Mp3 and a WAV file is just a plain fibber!

:)

SPeedY_B

maz4sue said:
The MP3 format is an excellent format and anyone who thinks they can tell the difference between a good Mp3 and a WAV file is just a plain fibber!
Or has decent speakers.

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
maz4sue said:
For creating Mp3s from CDs try AudioGrabber or GoldWave.

For burning CDRWIN is excellent, it will encode Mp3s on the fly.

:)
Can I have some of the crack that you've been smoking?

There's only one way to rip Exact Audio Copy

Then you can pick which encoder format to use (I personally prefer Musepack, It also handles transcoding much better than MP3)

Try an abx test. MP3 is horrible. Especially ripped from those programs. If you want as close to transparent as possible, try the Lame codec version 3.90.3.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Haniew