Sound media format conversion

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend an application for converting between the prevelant audio formats. Would be nice if it were versatile enough to cover many, and especially OGG which I think is technically a good WTG, but in this instance I am actually thinking of .RM to .MP3

There's no point converting compressed formats, you'll just loose quality.

you may be right but...?

SPeedY_B said:
There's no point converting compressed formats, you'll just loose quality.
surely in the world of digital music you can take it back to an uncompressed master and recompress to the new algorithm.

I do not doubt your answer may be practically correct for all I know, but my brain hurts if I try to believe it in theoretical terms! And regardless of wuality I have a need (making party CD up, friend is giving me .rm files, my burn software accepts .mp3) and I am sure others do sometimes - just wondering what's out there.

You can't. Once something is compressed it's quality is lost forever.
Also mp3 isn't a format you should burn to CD. Your software will simply convert it to wav before-hand anyway. Converting RM to wav (dependant on it's original quality) will sound horrid.

But should you still want to Blaze Media Pro is great-its not free though!

Ok I get it - the compression technology is "lossy", and then I agree there will be some loss unavoidably and things could get ugly. Seems a shame there isn't a more standard format that manages to have loss-less (or should I say "less lossy"?!) compression around.... or maybe someone here will tell me which format that may be?

I have to say though I have nurnt a few CD's after ripping into MP3 and they have sounded damn close to my ears - then maybe I did bad things to my ears back in the seventies and eighties and cannot discriminate so well any more the finer nuances of the music.

Thanks for that Mutt - anyone know of any free/share ones because it's likely I may only use this the once so reluctant to shell out.

Another vote for dbpoweramp!!! Great little program it is easy to use works good and is FREE!!!

dbpoweramp all the way...been using it for like year

For creating Mp3s from CDs try AudioGrabber or GoldWave.

For burning CDRWIN is excellent, it will encode Mp3s on the fly.

The MP3 format is an excellent format and anyone who thinks they can tell the difference between a good Mp3 and a WAV file is just a plain fibber!

:)

maz4sue said:
The MP3 format is an excellent format and anyone who thinks they can tell the difference between a good Mp3 and a WAV file is just a plain fibber!

Or has decent speakers.

maz4sue said:
For creating Mp3s from CDs try AudioGrabber or GoldWave.

For burning CDRWIN is excellent, it will encode Mp3s on the fly.

:)

Can I have some of the crack that you've been smoking?

There's only one way to rip Exact Audio Copy

Then you can pick which encoder format to use (I personally prefer Musepack, It also handles transcoding much better than MP3)

Try an abx test. MP3 is horrible. Especially ripped from those programs. If you want as close to transparent as possible, try the Lame codec version 3.90.3.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back