Small Home network

djchapple

OSNN Addict
I have set up a small home network comprising two computers (A and B using XP pro) and a printer connected to (say) computer A. In almost every way the it works as expected. The one problem I have is that though I can see, on Computer B, the printer connected to computer A I cannot get any items printed using computer B.

Assuming you can understand this rather convoluted explanation can anyone offfer a solution?

many thanks
David Chapple

Is the printer shared on computer A? Do you have the drivers for the printer loaded on computer B?

The answer is yes to both questions. It is shared on A and both computers are set up to use the printer.

David

Dumb question perhaps, but does computer B have the printer connected as a network printer and computer A as a local printer?

No I have only one printer attached to the static computer. The other laptop travels around

You missunderstood me. What I wanted to know was if computer B had the printer installed as a network printer (on \\Computer_A\Printer) rather than a local printer (on LPT1).

I missunderstood you as I do not understand the complexities of setting yp printers as you have described.

Could you tell me how to set up such a network printer and then I will know if it is there?

David

When on the computer (A) with the local printer I used System Info and looked at printers and I am told that there is an "Auto HP Deskjet 720 Printer set up on computer B"

presumably it is setup Ok so how do I use it?

David

Sounds OK I guess, except it's backwards.
Checklist:
1. Set up the printer normally on computer A.
2. Share the printer.
3. B might pick the printer up as Auto (like you said). If it does, everything is ok, just print to it. If not:
4. Choose to install a new printer on B.
5. Choose Network Printer instead of Local printer when asked.
6. Browse to computer A and choose the printer you shared previously.
7. I need be, install the drivers (you will be asked for them in that case).
8 Print.

Thanks for all your help. My printer now shares.

Life, thanks to computers, is all up hill!

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back