securing xp

ThePatriot

-=[BOHICA!]=-
Political User
Nice find perris! I can direct some of our customers there. I'm sure you can imagine how many pc's we get back in here loaded with crap.

Excellent find, perris.

With all the threads that keep cropping up related to security and privacy issues, I was planning to write out a detailed post about how you can keep your Windows box secure at some point. It's really not that hard, and Windows can be as secure and stable as any other OS, despite all the bad press that it gets. In any case, that article is much more detailed than anything I would have had the time to write. Worthy of some rep points, no doubt.

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
not too many stickys in security, so I'm gonna stick this for a while...anyone is welcome to take it down when they like or if we come up with something better.

_kC_

OSNN Senior Addict
yep how so? im gonna image all my box's and try it out over the weekend.. although im sure im already secure enuff behing spi firewall, nat :)

whats the bad points about ipx local network? any difference in speeds?

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
because IPX is an outdated protocol and will probably be phased out sometimes soon. You need to have TCP enabled for internet access, no reason to add the overhead of another protocol.

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
You have to add services to deal with IPX, TCP/IP is default in XP. AFAIK IPX isn't available in the 64-bit XP edition, which makes me think it will be gone by Longhorn.

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, IPX is more unreliable because no ACK's are sent; meaning that the sender never acknowledges that the packet it received by the recipient, as is done with TCP. Also, IPX is chatty, sending tons of packets into your network, which can slow your network down because of packet collisions. I have no statistical evidence of this, but I'm sure there is some.

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
ah..makes sense,,,needs to be experimented with to find out if the overhead is too high a price

as far as it becoming obsolete, that doesn't matter, since the network that would be using it would phase it out when it became neccessary

thanx for the info

TweakHound

OSNN One Post Wonder
Thanks for all the nice comments on the article and thanks to Perris for posting it. :)
I'll keep an eye out here for comments, suggestions, etc.

About IPX/SPX:
I think it's reputation for being chatty is overblown. Yes it will add some traffic to your network but are you really using so much bandwidth that you can't afford a few packets now and again?
IPX/SPX is not available on XP 64-bit (I don't think we've heard the last of this), nor is appletalk, netbios, netbeui...
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prka_fea_tfiu.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hnw_nohost_computerw.mspx
For file and printer sharing using this configuration, it is recommended that you install a network protocol that is not used on the Internet, such as IPX/SPX, and disable file and print sharing on TCP/IP For more information about IPX/SPX, see IPX To install and enable file and printer sharing using the IPX/SPX protocol, see To enable file and print sharing on the IPX/SPX protocol

_kC_

OSNN Senior Addict
switched my network over to it today, havnt had any problems, speeds pretty much the same, processor use i cant notice any difference, seems to be working just the same

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
tweakhound said:
Thanks for all the nice comments on the article and thanks to Perris for posting it.
I'll keep an eye out here for comments, suggestions, etc.
Great to see you tweakhound!!!

please feel free to put your home page in your signature, and stick around a while

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut