securing xp

Nice find perris! I can direct some of our customers there. I'm sure you can imagine how many pc's we get back in here loaded with crap.

nice site, a lot of good articles there and the securing xp article is very thorough!

thanks!

Excellent find, perris.
smile.gif

With all the threads that keep cropping up related to security and privacy issues, I was planning to write out a detailed post about how you can keep your Windows box secure at some point. It's really not that hard, and Windows can be as secure and stable as any other OS, despite all the bad press that it gets. In any case, that article is much more detailed than anything I would have had the time to write. Worthy of some rep points, no doubt.

not too many stickys in security, so I'm gonna stick this for a while...anyone is welcome to take it down when they like or if we come up with something better.

Nice guide, I wouldnt use it because im more eXPerienced but some of my clients might want to take look.

Great find!!

nice, i like the idea of using ipx instead of tcpip on lan.. great find

Personally the IPX stuff was the only thing I disagreed with in the whole article.

yep how so? im gonna image all my box's and try it out over the weekend.. although im sure im already secure enuff behing spi firewall, nat :)

whats the bad points about ipx local network? any difference in speeds?

because IPX is an outdated protocol and will probably be phased out sometimes soon. You need to have TCP enabled for internet access, no reason to add the overhead of another protocol.

the ipx is just for the local network, it doesn't matter if it's phased out globally.

how does the overhead manifest?

You have to add services to deal with IPX, TCP/IP is default in XP. AFAIK IPX isn't available in the 64-bit XP edition, which makes me think it will be gone by Longhorn.

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, IPX is more unreliable because no ACK's are sent; meaning that the sender never acknowledges that the packet it received by the recipient, as is done with TCP. Also, IPX is chatty, sending tons of packets into your network, which can slow your network down because of packet collisions. I have no statistical evidence of this, but I'm sure there is some.

ah..makes sense,,,needs to be experimented with to find out if the overhead is too high a price

as far as it becoming obsolete, that doesn't matter, since the network that would be using it would phase it out when it became neccessary

thanx for the info

Thanks for all the nice comments on the article and thanks to Perris for posting it. :)
I'll keep an eye out here for comments, suggestions, etc.

About IPX/SPX:
I think it's reputation for being chatty is overblown. Yes it will add some traffic to your network but are you really using so much bandwidth that you can't afford a few packets now and again?
IPX/SPX is not available on XP 64-bit (I don't think we've heard the last of this), nor is appletalk, netbios, netbeui...
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prka_fea_tfiu.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hnw_nohost_computerw.mspx
For file and printer sharing using this configuration, it is recommended that you install a network protocol that is not used on the Internet, such as IPX/SPX, and disable file and print sharing on TCP/IP For more information about IPX/SPX, see IPX To install and enable file and printer sharing using the IPX/SPX protocol, see To enable file and print sharing on the IPX/SPX protocol

switched my network over to it today, havnt had any problems, speeds pretty much the same, processor use i cant notice any difference, seems to be working just the same

your memory useage is probably a little higher though...maybe 3 mb's I think

thanx for reporting back

tweakhound said:
Thanks for all the nice comments on the article and thanks to Perris for posting it.
I'll keep an eye out here for comments, suggestions, etc.
Great to see you tweakhound!!!

please feel free to put your home page in your signature, and stick around a while

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back