• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Securing a laptop

ZeroHour

ho3 ho3 ho3
Lo people,
We run a Active Directory system on our network. We have laptops which staff can use that cache there profile info and there my documents until they plug it into the network again.
What we need though is some kind of program that would restrict how long they would have the laptop for.
E.g. we hand a laptop out for 2 weeks use and after 2 weeks they cant do anything.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
expiring passwords? Must be possible, Linux supports this as a native feature.

Not activating Windows only gives you the one month option and is rather inflexible plu shas the risk they might be able to activate, maybe?

VenomXt

Blame me for the RAZR's
self destruct! lol duct tape some grey modeling clay and stick a old timex watch in it with a 2 weeks countdown! lol point it out and tell them if they like there hands bring it back before the watch gets to 0 lol....... well it could work.. hehe

im no help i know. :D

ZeroHour

ho3 ho3 ho3
Got a nice script in VBS that runs in the machine run in registry.
If the date is after the expire date it logs them automatically :D

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political User
Using Active Directory users and computers you can set the expiry date of an account, the users would have to log on to the domain for their stored profiles to be updated with these changes tho.

ZeroHour

ho3 ho3 ho3
We dont want to lock them out of the network.
Just stop them taking the laptops home for a week and us not seeing them for months.
The script is now in a nice and easy msi :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies