Secure Format

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi All

I need to replace one of my new hard drives I have been using in my Server, as it’s on its way out (fails drive self test, is slow, noisy and has corrupted some data). Where was one of my server drives it obviously contains all my data.

What is the best way to securely format this so that when it is tested as part of the RMA, my data is not easily recovered by a bored IT dept?

Many Thanks

if it's a fairly recent SATA drive, I always recommend secure erase that uses the built in wipe commands built into the ATA standard.

Another great utility which I can also recommend is DBAN

Thanks guys, I am sure there was a thread on this a while ago but could not seem to find it.... Oh well the disk gets picked up tomorrow so your options were perfectly timed! what's more they are free :D

just to clarify, the file that carpo included is the secure erase utility that I linked to in my post.

All done, only snag was due to some form of protection I had to switch it to the second channel to wipe the drive, its all boxed up now hopefully it will be a quick turn about. Thanks again :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back