Safari On Acid

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
For those who are pedantic about rendering compliance, you may know that Safari's core, WebKit now passes the Acid 2 test. However, it has yet to be implemented into an official release of Safari itself.

With WebKit being open source, you can just grab the latest nightly and compile it yourself, however that will replace your WebKit at OS level, if you just want to use Safari with the new WebKit, check out the link below. It will launch Safari with the compliant WebKit, without changing anything including your current install of Safari.

Click the thumbnail to see ACID2 being rendered correctly:

Download: SafariOnAcid.dmg
Download: SafariOnAcid.md5

cool - I actually had the oppertunity to get a Mac recently, but I chose going for my motorbike license instead :D Much more fun involved in that I think :p

Very cool. I wonder if Safari will be updated with a .x release... or will we have to wait until Leopard?

Safari will be updated with a point release at some point, and in theory the new version of WebKit should be included, if not, it will be included in an o/s point release at some point. WebKit can be compiled into the o/s manually anyway (it's VERY easy to do) so should you need better compliance, it's there, readily available.

cool, hoorah for WebKit

does Shiira use the system webkit or one in its own @executable_path??

Shiira appears to just use the systems WebKit.

bitesize:/Volumes/SafariOnAcid/SafariOnAcid.app/Contents/MacOS xistence$ ./SafariOnAcid
Start Safari with DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH set to point to built WebKit in /Volumes/SafariOnAcid/SafariOnAcid.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources.
dyld: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari Undefined symbols:
WebKit undefined reference to _kCGImageSourceShouldPreferRGB32 expected to be defined in ApplicationServices
WebKit undefined reference to _kSecAsn1AlgorithmIDTemplate expected to be defined in Security
WebKit undefined reference to _kSecAsn1IA5StringTemplate expected to be defined in Security
WebKit undefined reference to _kSecAsn1SequenceOfAnyTemplate expected to be defined in Security
WebKit undefined reference to _kSecAsn1SubjectPublicKeyInfoTemplate expected to be defined in Security
Trace/BPT trap
bitesize:/Volumes/SafariOnAcid/SafariOnAcid.app/Contents/MacOS xistence$ uname -a
Darwin bitesize.network.home 7.9.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30 20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

No luck for Panther users here :(

SPeedY_B said:
The DMG I linked would of being built with Safari 2.0 in mind. I'm not sure it will work, but you could try checking out and building a fresh build of WebKit and see if you can get it to function with Safari 1.3(?).

http://webkit.opendarwin.org/building/build.html

It needs Xcode 2.1 to build, and guess what, Xcode 2.1 only runs on 10.4.x :p

I am all out of luck it seems.

X-Istence said:
Send me 27$ via paypal and i can go buy it.
tempting...
esp as that is only £15 in real money :p

and it would get you to shutup about not having tiger :p :D

Geffy said:
tempting...
esp as that is only £15 in real money :p

and it would get you to shutup about not having tiger :p :D

Yeah, the USD is not real money anymore :p. Wonder if i could use iLife 04 with it. As i believe Mac OS X tiger does not come with it standard.

I am going to get iWork '05 and iLife '05 soon from the Apple Store Education for NUS and the two together should cost me about £60 :D

I really like Pages, but I'm looking forward to v2.0 as v1.0 needs to have some things ironed out. It's still very much a useable word processor though, and I love the templates. iLife is excellent -- no need to say any more. :)

Wouldn't mind a copy of iWork myself. *looks into*

I'll be ordering mine beginning of September when I am back up in Scarborough

Well this is a surprise, but one thing baffles me, what sort of tests can that smilie do ^_^

desie said:
Well this is a surprise, but one thing baffles me, what sort of tests can that smilie do ^_^

it tests every aspect of CSS 2. If it renders correctly, then the browser is CSS 2 compliant, if it fails to render correctly, the browser needs to update it's CSS support to make it render correctly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back