• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

removing win98 from dual boot

J

jmatrix

Win98SE and boot.ini on C: drive, WinXP on D: drive. I would like to remove the Win 98 installation on c: drive to free up disk space. How can I do this safely, and what do I do with the boot.ini file located on the c: drive so that Win XP will still load?
Thanks,
Paul

phishhead

OSNN Senior Addict
haven't had to try it but just boot using a win98 boot disk and boot to the c:\ format your win98 partition...then reboot with the xp cd and boot to safe mode cmd prompt and type bootcfg/? for options I believe it is bootcfg/f or /fix this will repair the ntloader...or could just do a repair install...then you would have to combine the 2 partitions with partition magic or some prog like that...should work.:D

B

Binary

Well, since I can't figure that one out, probably some others won't either. What you mean to say is to boot with the WinXP CD, press F10 and thus go to the Recovery Console. There you can fix the bootfiles by issuing the command bootfix.
The method is described here: support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314058. Apart from that, when you do have Partition Magic available, I would first join the two partition and then do the fixboot trick. Otherwise the referrals in boot.ini do not match when the partitions are changed. Also the result must be a primary partition, otherwise WinXP won't boot.
A safer way is to just remove everything from the C-partition except: boot.ini, bootsect.dos, ntldr and ntdetect.com. That way you do not have to juggle partitions around.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timpage