removing win98 from dual boot

J

jmatrix

Win98SE and boot.ini on C: drive, WinXP on D: drive. I would like to remove the Win 98 installation on c: drive to free up disk space. How can I do this safely, and what do I do with the boot.ini file located on the c: drive so that Win XP will still load?
Thanks,
Paul

haven't had to try it but just boot using a win98 boot disk and boot to the c:\ format your win98 partition...then reboot with the xp cd and boot to safe mode cmd prompt and type bootcfg/? for options I believe it is bootcfg/f or /fix this will repair the ntloader...or could just do a repair install...then you would have to combine the 2 partitions with partition magic or some prog like that...should work.:D

Well, since I can't figure that one out, probably some others won't either. What you mean to say is to boot with the WinXP CD, press F10 and thus go to the Recovery Console. There you can fix the bootfiles by issuing the command bootfix.
The method is described here: support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314058. Apart from that, when you do have Partition Magic available, I would first join the two partition and then do the fixboot trick. Otherwise the referrals in boot.ini do not match when the partitions are changed. Also the result must be a primary partition, otherwise WinXP won't boot.
A safer way is to just remove everything from the C-partition except: boot.ini, bootsect.dos, ntldr and ntdetect.com. That way you do not have to juggle partitions around.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back