Question about 9600XT

kmanning

Confused user
I just put and ATI 9600XT 128MB card in my son's computer (his old video card gave up the ghost). Now, in device manager, there seem to be 2 entries for the video. The first says ATI 9600 series, the next says ATI 9600 series-Secondary.

And, in Task Manager, it looks like the drivers are loading twice. ati2evxx.exe shows up twice - once under system and once under the logged-on user.

The video seems to be working well in everything except 1 game - Black & White - that seems to have some issue with the cursor during start-up (seems to be some issue with hardware cursor or something). Everything else is running fine, and the whole computer has been up and running without any other problems for more than a day.

Is all this normal for this card and these drivers, or what?

Thanks.

Soyo KT333
Athlon 2000+
512 MB
WD 60 GB on IDE 0
WD 80 GB on Highpoint controller
Pioneer 16x slot loading DVD on IDE 1
ATI 9600XT, 128 MB
Catalyst 4.2
WinXP home
onboard sound and LAN

as for the first part, its normal to have the two displays. one refers to the main display (either vga or dvi) and the other refers to the tv out using the s-video connection.

for the task manager thing, its also normal. i thought it was a problem at first but its not, because one of them is loaded by the actual system and the other by your user.

as for the black & white issue...im not sure, i dont have that game. im guessing you're running the latest catalyst drivers right? if you are and still have problems, try updating the game. if that fails, try tinkering with the settings for direct3d or opengl in the 3d part of the display settings. i tried that with silent hill 2 (also giving probs) and it got it fixed.

hope it works!

Apu

This is completely normal,
I have the 9800xt and it shows two devices.
I think these cards use the PCI slot below the AGP at the same time.
As for the black and white problem, is the game fully up to date?

For the black and white issue - I had curser problems in Empire Earth. Try uninstalling the driver and replacing it with the 4.1 or 3.10 (both good drivers).

The 4.2 was quirky with OpenGL games and had grainy looking textures for me.

Make sure to use the ATI uninstall tool to clean the 4.2 out first. And downlaod a copy of nasty file remover (NFR.exe). It will clean out any residue from the previous drivers if you were using an nvidia product (or any other for that matter).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back