Programs are not working

GMeagle86

OSNN Addict
I'm getting this very irritating error when I try to open several different programs.

It says: "____ has encountered an error and needs to close"

This error prevents me from using many programs they include:

System Restore
Internet Explorer
Microsoft Outlook

It doesn't give an explanation, but it still shows up even though I am logged in as a computer admin.

Please help....Thanks.

Before anything else run an UP TO DATE antivirus and spyware scan of the entire system.

AVG antivirus is freeware.
Spybot search and destory is freeware.

Before using either tool turn OFF system restore. It is used as a hiding place for viruses and spyware.

If the system is clean then you need to reinstall internet explorer and outlook. There is a thread on OSNN about reinstalling IE.

Once the system is put back together then turn system restore back ON.

If you still can't get IE and Outlook working after you run the spyware and virus scan download and run hijackthis. Then post the results here and someone will help you with a manual check of any malware on your system.

If you can't get internet access through IE then install Mozilla to get online and post the highjackthis scan.

If the malware sweep turns up clean and outlook and IE won't reinstall then you will need to do a repair install of windows.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

norton antivirus sucks, use avg free
free.grisoft.com
and set it to scan all files instead of infectable files
Test center->tests->Complete Test Settings->Scan All Files
and then run a full scan

is there any error information? detailed info?

might be an error inside windows itself maybe you'll need to repair it :s not sure though

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_229.jpg
    ScreenHunter_229.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 92
  • ScreenHunter_230.jpg
    ScreenHunter_230.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 82
  • ScreenHunter_231.jpg
    ScreenHunter_231.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 86
  • ScreenHunter_232.jpg
    ScreenHunter_232.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 72
Take a look at this KB article.

Also, may want to run sfc or extract mshtml.dll off the XP cd.

You can run system file checker by going to start, run, then type in the box:

sfc /scannow

American Zombie said:
Take a look at this KB article.

Also, may want to run sfc or extract mshtml.dll off the XP cd.

You can run system file checker by going to start, run, then type in the box:

sfc /scannow

I downloaded the fix in the KB article, but that wouldn't install. I could not get the system file checker to run, I would enter it in, and click enter, then I would see a DOS window pop-up and then disappear really fast.

Alot of the points that need to be covered have been documented quite well in this thread.

One thing I noticed: ---- have all of these steps been executed in safe mode with System Restore off?

The system file check - must be done with an XP CD in the drive, or with the SP2 I386 folder if you have copied it over to your root.

Yes, System Restore has been turned off since it was first suggested that I do so.

I'm about to install Outlook 2003 again....I'll report back soon.

GMeagle86 said:
ok, ran a avg full scan, and it came up with nothing.
how long did the scan take? cuz once i did one and it only took like 10 seconds to do a complete scan but when i did it in safe mode it came up with tons of viruses

It took over 30 minutes.

I can try to run it in safe mode.....

Also, it isn't letting me re-install Outlook 2003, it keeps coming up with a very simmliar error.

GMeagle86 said:
It took over 30 minutes.

I can try to run it in safe mode.....

Also, it isn't letting me re-install Outlook 2003, it keeps coming up with a very simmliar error.

What is the error you are getting?

This is getting pretty interesting....

did you get the sfc /scannow to run yet?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back