• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[PHP] hosting my own large files in forums

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I am trying to figure out how the serve my files, instead of uploading the file onto an online fileserver.

Basically, I would like to post a link in my forums that, once clicked, will bring up the Download Manager, and download from my own FTP servers.

I use phpBB for my forums, and bulletproof as my FTP server. I do have my own domain names,

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political User
Upload the files on to your FTP server.

Give people in your forums a link to the file.

Not sure if that's what you wanted?

Heeter

That's what I would like,

but I am trying different ways/links but to no avail.

I guess that I am trying to figure out what a link would look like if I was hosting a firefox download: "ftp://ftp.heeter.com/firefox.exe" ???

Hmmmm

Last edited:

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political User
Contact your webhost and ask them how to upload files to your FTP server. Actually, yhey will probably have a FAQ on their website that will tell you how to do that.

It really shouldn't be that complicated. Post back if you're still stuck, we'll see what we can do :)

I'm going to bed for now...

Edit:

You added this piece:

Heeter said:
I guess that I am trying to figure out what a link would look like if I was hosting a firefox download: "ftp://ftp.heeter.com/firefox.exe" ???

Hmmmm
I think that http://heeter.com/firefox.exe would work also. It really depends on how the host has set it up. Again, check with your host to make sure.

Last edited:

Heeter

I am my own webhost. I am my own webserver as well.

My Setup: Apache, PHP, phpBB for forums, Mysql for my forums and emailserver Db.

Trying to figure how to do this out of my own Ftpserver, if I can.

Heeter

if you've enabled anonymous ftp in BPFTPD it should work right off the bat.

Just limit your anonymous account unless you want to become a public warez ftp haven :)

Heeter

I don't have anonymous enabled. It's all password/username protected.

Maybe if I anonymous one folder only, and only put the file in there. I wonder if BPFTP can anonymous login only one folder.

I am trying to figure out what the link posted will look like. SOmething that you click on, and the download manager will ask if you want tosave it or run it.

Heeter

Last edited:
Heeter said:
I don't have anonymous enabled. It's all password/username protected.

Maybe if I anonymous one folder only, and only put the file in there. I wonder if BPFTP can anonymous login only one folder.

I am trying to figure out what the link posted will look like. SOmething that you click on, and the download manager will ask if you want tosave it or run it.

Heeter
for password proteced ftp it would be ftp://username:Password@hostname/path/to/file.tar.bz2

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix