[PHP] hosting my own large files in forums

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I am trying to figure out how the serve my files, instead of uploading the file onto an online fileserver.

Basically, I would like to post a link in my forums that, once clicked, will bring up the Download Manager, and download from my own FTP servers.

I use phpBB for my forums, and bulletproof as my FTP server. I do have my own domain names,

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Upload the files on to your FTP server.

Give people in your forums a link to the file.

Not sure if that's what you wanted?

That's what I would like,

but I am trying different ways/links but to no avail.

I guess that I am trying to figure out what a link would look like if I was hosting a firefox download: "ftp://ftp.heeter.com/firefox.exe" ???

Hmmmm

Last edited:
Contact your webhost and ask them how to upload files to your FTP server. Actually, yhey will probably have a FAQ on their website that will tell you how to do that.

It really shouldn't be that complicated. Post back if you're still stuck, we'll see what we can do :)

I'm going to bed for now...

Edit:

You added this piece:

Heeter said:
I guess that I am trying to figure out what a link would look like if I was hosting a firefox download: "ftp://ftp.heeter.com/firefox.exe" ???

Hmmmm

I think that http://heeter.com/firefox.exe would work also. It really depends on how the host has set it up. Again, check with your host to make sure.

Last edited:
I am my own webhost. I am my own webserver as well.

My Setup: Apache, PHP, phpBB for forums, Mysql for my forums and emailserver Db.

Trying to figure how to do this out of my own Ftpserver, if I can.

Heeter

if you've enabled anonymous ftp in BPFTPD it should work right off the bat.

Just limit your anonymous account unless you want to become a public warez ftp haven :)

I don't have anonymous enabled. It's all password/username protected.

Maybe if I anonymous one folder only, and only put the file in there. I wonder if BPFTP can anonymous login only one folder.

I am trying to figure out what the link posted will look like. SOmething that you click on, and the download manager will ask if you want tosave it or run it.

Heeter

Last edited:
Heeter said:
I don't have anonymous enabled. It's all password/username protected.

Maybe if I anonymous one folder only, and only put the file in there. I wonder if BPFTP can anonymous login only one folder.

I am trying to figure out what the link posted will look like. SOmething that you click on, and the download manager will ask if you want tosave it or run it.

Heeter

for password proteced ftp it would be ftp://username:Password@hostname/path/to/file.tar.bz2

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back