PCLinuxOS to access Windows shared files

Yeah, the XP box happens to have all the wifes files, reports, email accounts, and a million other documents and databases for her business. The main drive holds the OS, apps, and the slave is mirror raided, and holds all the said files. I would like her to move onto Linux, but at a really slow pace. She has switched over to Firefox, Thunderbird, and OpenOffice on the XP box.

My debian setup is going towards my FTP,web, email server.

(if I could finally put in time to finish it, lol. That is going to be a whole other thread here, LOL)

Heeter

So this topic got me curious about sharing my NFS exports and doing so is very very easy. Probably easier than configuring Samba. While there is third-party software out there for this, I haven't found any that are free except for Microsoft's.

First download Windows Services for UNIX ...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...88-601B-44F1-81A4-02878FF11778&displaylang=en

... and install the NFS client.

Once installed, all your exported NFS shares can be viewed and used like any Samba share like this screenie ...

http://ribbed.us/zen/various/screenshots/windows+services+for+unix.JPG.php

The NFS client can access the shares using an authentication service like NIS, but for my home network, passwd and group files with username mapping did the job.

Knowing this, I might swing back to PCLinuxOS,

Thanks, Vern

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back