PCLinuxOS to access Windows shared files

Hey guys,

I just created a new user/pass on the linux workstation to reflect the user/pass to get into the Windows Server box, I deleted the the previous users on Linux, and rebooted into new user, created the shortcuts to the desktop for the Shared Windows folders, and it still keeps asking me for the username/password again everytime.

I really appreciate your guys inputs.

Is there anything else that I can do?

Myabe someone can remote desktop this linux box and see what the crap am I doing wrong?

Heeter

in the kde control panel look for networking, and then samba in the first tab of that box put in the windows log and pass and then restart samba

Well everything looks okay.........................................I guess.

Attachments

• snapshot1.png
    snapshot1.png
    163.1 KB · Views: 401
Let me get this one straight.

You are trying to access a remote Windows share from your Linux workstation?

Yes I am, X. I am accessing the "mapped" folders now, but it asks for user/pass of the Windows host machine and I don't have full privileges to the stuff in the folders right now. Once I get to enter the user/pass several times, then I can see the stuff in the folders. I still can't do anything with the files at that point, unless I download the file onto the desktop and update it and reupload the file onto shared folder. Music cannot be played from shared drive as well.

This seems to be an impossible task for Linux.

Heeter

i have samba working here with slackware freebsd and winxp - so its just a permissions issue, are you sure you have set the user and pass the same on the pcs ?

smbpasswd -a heeter (or what ever you use)

then add the pass - it will ask you twice, as long as the info you enter there is the same as the acount info on the windows pc you should have no problems

Hi Carpo,

Is there maybe something on the Windows server side that I need to do, maybe?

I have done that, what you stated, the pc's (linux, Windows) are the same user/pass too.

Heeter

right lets see if we can get thsi sorted

check list

pc1(winxp)
make sure log/pass is in and correct,set the workgroup name, select the files/folders you want to share and add the user(s) to the allowed users list, make sure you have client for microsoft networks installed (this will be under network connections)

pc2(linux)
make sure log and pass is in and is correct, use the provided smb.conf file i posted a while back, chmod rc.samba to 755 (this will start it when pc boots), next go to control center - internet and network - local network browsing, in the first tab you should see Windows shares, place the windows log/pass of the user you want to see the shared files on the windows pc (make sure they are corect - little typo here will trip you up), in the next tab you should see LISa Daemon, click on setup wizard, and follow the on screen instructions, just select the ip address of you network card and just keep clicking next.

as root in a terminal window start lisa - norm it should be /usr/bin/lisa (might be different on your pc) and add this to rc.local

if [ -x /usr/bin/lisa ]; then
echo "Starting LISa daemon..."
/usr/bin/lisa
fi

changing it if need to where that file is on your system, next do smbpasswd -a user (user being the username of the person you setup in windows and the samba tab)

Next start samba (or restart it if its already started) and you should be good to go

I don't know why you have such a hard time, when I installed Ubuntu, I already had three drives which were Samba shares and all I had to do was double click on them, give it my password, and presto. This may just be Ubuntu, but any distribution that uses ntfs-3g with fuse should be just as simple.

Thanks a million, Carpo for sticking with me on this.

I have gone through the list of stuff you posted.

In the terminal, I am getting this: NetManager::prepare: bind (TCP) failed, errno: 98

I have searched everywhere, but I cannot locate rc.samba and rc.local files.

If I was to move onto a different distribution, what would be a good one? I need one with full workstation apps installed. That is why I selected this one, was because out of the box, this distro has everything. My goal was to install OS, configure to network, replace an XP workstation. If can avoid installing extra stuff to get the machine going, I am all for it.

Maybe I should be contemplating a fresh reinstall of this one instead?

Thanks again,

Heeter

ubuntu would be your best bet if your new to linux in general

I am really not that new to Linux in general, but I still have a hard time getting errors fixed with linux.

I used to have my main home server using FreeBSD5 for a long while. used bsdguides to resolves situations with *BSD.

I am almost complete moving that into a debian setup now. That server setup seems to be converting smoother than this desktop situation right now.

Maybe it is a corrupted install. I am going to try to reinstall the distro again. If not, going to go Ubuntu then. I definately want this desktop to move to a stable networked linux setup. I want the wife learning to use it as well.

Thanks, Carpo

Heeter

i know different distros place files in different places, /etc/rc.d or /etc/init.d, but if you go down ubuntu road you should be up and away rather quickly

Okay, thanks for the heads up, will move onto Ubuntu desktop and check it out.

Heeter

should it stick on the install (did with me on 7.04) either use the alternate installer or use text mode install

Just curious, are you moving all your networked computers to *nix? If so, why even bother with Samba and just use NFS.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back