PC vs. Mac Commercials

Well said Jeff.
the add is typical seinfeld humor and it's directed at the type of people who enjoyed that show (myself among them), it's sort of like star trek movies, I always enjoy them if there is a continuity, even if non star trek fans hate the installment...that's what's going on here with this seinfeld add, to some of us it is hillarious

it's as funny as having "a contest" as funny as bragging about your "parking spot", seinfeld was a show "about nothing" and that was the genious

it's magnifying everyday conversation and to some of us it is brilliant, to others, not so much

it's obviously not intended for everyone

look at us, we're debating whether or not an add is funny...I LOVE the mac vs pc adds, I also LOVE the pc vs mac adds, I think they are BOTH well concieved and both of them have contributed to marketing models for future strategy from other brands

both companies are brilliant, both companies found their respective market, both companies do a fine job

here's the thing though, a pc guy will consider using a mac, mac guys do not switch (as much) but for the most part, once you learn on one system you're not going to another

That add was cool, and I liked the read. As for sienfeld - All that was, was the Jeff Foxworthy show renamed ..

the add is typical seinfeld humor and it's directed at the type of people who enjoyed that show (myself among them), it's sort of like star trek movies, I always enjoy them if there is a continuity, even if non star trek fans hate the installment...that's what's going on here with this seinfeld add, to some of us it is hillarious

it's as funny as having "a contest" as funny as bragging about your "parking spot", seinfeld was a show "about nothing" and that was the genious

it's magnifying everyday conversation and to some of us it is brilliant, to others, not so much

it's obviously not intended for everyone

look at us, we're debating whether or not an add is funny...I LOVE the mac vs pc adds, I also LOVE the pc vs mac adds, I think they are BOTH well concieved and both of them have contributed to marketing models for future strategy from other brands

both companies are brilliant, both companies found their respective market, both companies do a fine job

here's the thing though, a pc guy will consider using a mac, mac guys do not switch (as much) but for the most part, once you learn on one system you're not going to another

Fwiw, I hate negative ads. They show the insecurity of the attacker and are very petty. They have made me absolutely loathe Apple's marketing department because of the variety of lies and half-truths they feed.

Apple ads have been banned in other countries for various reasons (i.e. the recent Engadget bit about the iPhone commercials where the real life experience is no where near that of what we see in the ads).

---

This non-aggressive and relatively amusing ad comes out and people are confused? Why? Because they are not bashing Apple? Because they are not attacking Oracle or Linux? Various other companies have been able to promote their products (Apple included) without pettiness and lies to the level that the PC vs. Mac ads show.

Perhaps its a sign of our times. One cannot move forward without ripping the other person apart to shreds with rumors and innuendo. We hated Karl Rove for what he did but we love it when Apple does? :)

the ad [sic] is typical seinfeld humor and it's directed at the type of people who enjoyed that show (myself among them) ...
I'll agree, they were going for a "Seinfeld" feel to it. The shame is it was an epic fail at this and if anything tainted Seinfelds name for me. Who's in the next commercial, Snoop? :(

Well said Jeff.

Thanks Matt :p

Fwiw, I hate negative ads. They show the insecurity of the attacker and are very petty. They have made me absolutely loathe Apple's marketing department because of the variety of lies and half-truths they feed.

Apple ads have been banned in other countries for various reasons (i.e. the recent Engadget bit about the iPhone commercials where the real life experience is no where near that of what we see in the ads).

---

This non-aggressive and relatively amusing ad comes out and people are confused? Why? Because they are not bashing Apple? Because they are not attacking Oracle or Linux? Various other companies have been able to promote their products (Apple included) without pettiness and lies to the level that the PC vs. Mac ads show.

Perhaps its a sign of our times. One cannot move forward without ripping the other person apart to shreds with rumors and innuendo. We hated Karl Rove for what he did but we love it when Apple does? :)

Pretty much agree with you 100% A trend I've noticed with the release of this video is that people think Microsoft is 'stupid' because their ad does not 'make sense'. This correlates with what Apple has been trying to bash into peoples skull about Microsoft and PC users. It seems hip to make fun of MS and insult PC users now and jump at any chance to do so. I think what will eventually happen is that we will have a generation of Mac Loving, PC hating bigots. :suprised: :lick:

Haha, that one gave me a good chuckle, entertaining at the very least :)

This one is much better, had a good chuckle with this, esp when Gates is reading the bedtime story

The bedtime story had me laughing out loud. The ads are certainly getting better. Wonder if that same guy is going to write yet another lengthy review about why it is bashing Apple.

That being said, I also smiled when Bill Gates was doing the robot at the end. That was pretty cool as well.

little better than the first, I actually burst out laughing when Billy told the kid playing the game. "If anyone asked when you got it you don't know".

Special made for billy.. :laugh:

bedtime bit had me laughing too, "are there monsters in this story? yes but there's a firewall!" :D

it seems to me the last add isn't funnier then the first but like the seinfeld show, the episodes just grow on you, as you learn about the charachters and get used to the dead pan humor.

I also see the trend, the epilogue is going to have gates doing some physical humor...I hope that's the formula

The giraffe bit was ace, the rest was really lacking though. :( Gates trying so desperately to do the robot at the end to seem like a "real person" and then the sad attempt to "sell" you MS just shows how out of touch he is. More un-randomness w/ Seinfeld and it might have something. Still think a bad move on his part though.

What?!?! The robot is out of style? *throws out dancing for dummies book*

What?!?! The robot is out of style? *throws out dancing for dummies book*
Never said robot was out of style. Gates doing a half-assed robot to fit a sad script just because it'll sell Vista is what's wrong with the whole thing. Microsoft should have put more money into make a descent OS instead of spending millions trying to sell a turd.

*edit* - read today that you can become a "Windows Guru" @ Best Buy/Circuit City for $20/hr doing nothing more then pimping Vista on people. Oh and they do no tech support or anything other then push Vista like it cures cancer.

What are you talking about?

The ads are brilliant :D

Just because there is no condescending and lying set of commercials looking for a cheap laugh doesn't mean the commercials are bad :)

I thought the fact that Bill Gates TRIED to do the Robot and actually did a decent job (considering), speaks volumes.

What are you talking about?

The ads are brilliant :D

I thought the fact that Bill Gates TRIED to do the Robot and actually did a decent job (considering), speaks volumes.
Brilliant? I wouldn't go that far. :lick:

As far as Bill "trying" to do the robot, of course he would. He is trying to save his company. His software division is sinking having just rolled out the worse selling product to date for Microsoft. </rant>

I don't think the ads are really trying to sell anything. Looking back at the first ad, and this second ad now, they are trying to re-shape the image that Microsoft has, into something more positive. Microsoft as a company that belongs at home, and really believes in the users and the people.

I don't drink or smoke, so I am entirely lucid during this posting ...

I like the second commercial. Long, but I enjoyed watching it. I think Microsoft has done well thus far.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back