PC vs. Mac Commercials

well said speedy

I'm not sure but weren't both those guys in the movie Dodgeball?

I know the Mac guy was, don't think the PC guy was though.

There have been some new adverts lately, I really love these, REALLY creative :D

Keep 'em coming!!

Nope, the PC is not from dodgeball. He is John Hodgman, he's been on the Daily Show quite a few times.

How appropriately ironic :cool:

Apple. The kings of b.s.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/04/30/apple.security.ap/index.html

:smoker:

Steve Jobs a.k.a. Neo - "there is no virus"

Woooooooo, 404!

Okay, back to those ads.

I really enjoyed the advertising, they were on TV while I was in Marketing class, so immediatly the teacher had us dissect the advertisement. She is primarily a PC users, and would not touch a Mac with a 10 ft pole, but she was interested in the fact that this time the advertisements were so well done, yet simple. Really cool ads :D

^^^A lot of that is how I feel. I am also a PC user who would prefer not to touch the Mac if I can avoid it, and thus have adjust my career path to support that :p

So well done, yet really cool and simple ads.

Well said!

I think the commericals are creative, and amusing (although I really, really, really want to kill that Mac guy) but the problem is that there's a difference between stretching the truth and compelely misleading your customers.

How many people not "in-the-know" are going to buy a mac and figure they don't need anti-virus because the commercial said so. Then we have the one with the camera from japan and the newest that I've seen where they are in the boxes, if I didn't know better those commercials would make me think that I should be able to go out and buy any piece of hardware off the shelf, plug it in and it will work with a Mac, Yeah right.

I really hope all this comes back to bite apple in the butt.

I'm pretty sure people "not-in-the-know" would buy a Mac and try to buy an antivirus for it.

I think the commericals are creative, and amusing (although I really, really, really want to kill that Mac guy) but the problem is that there's a difference between stretching the truth and compelely misleading your customers.

How many people not "in-the-know" are going to buy a mac and figure they don't need anti-virus because the commercial said so. Then we have the one with the camera from japan and the newest that I've seen where they are in the boxes, if I didn't know better those commercials would make me think that I should be able to go out and buy any piece of hardware off the shelf, plug it in and it will work with a Mac, Yeah right.

I really hope all this comes back to bite apple in the butt.
Decent point, while I would hope j79zlr is correct, I can see that happening too. It could definitely be perceived that way.

He plain and simple says - "everything works right out of the box" and in regards to the virus "For PCs, not Macs."

I hope that j79zlr is right too, unfortunatly my personal opinion is that he gives people more credit then I do. IMHO though the reason companies use commercials is because they work, people believe what they see on TV, and while 99% of us on here can say well of course you still want to use an anti-virus, what about those out there that literally have no clue, know nothing at all about computers, we can't really put ourselves in their shoes because on some level we do have that knowledge.In the end it all comes down to the wording as Kcnychief demonstrated above, and Apple has that down to a T.

This isn't intended to fuel a PC vs. Mac debate, but I've never had an antivirus app for my Mac. There have been a couple of trojans made to attack OS X, but no viruses, yet. When that changes I will install antivirus software. So the commercial might stretch the truth a bit, but it doesn't lie flat-out either. :)

This isn't intended to fuel a PC vs. Mac debate, but I've never had an antivirus app for my Mac. There have been a couple of trojans made to attack OS X, but no viruses, yet. When that changes I will install antivirus software. So the commercial might stretch the truth a bit, but it doesn't lie flat-out either. :)

That may be so, but what happens if it's too late. I don't mean to offend but I don't understand why someone would take a reactive approach like that rather then a proactive approach. It's bad enough that anti-virus vendors are almost always a step behind as it is because they have to react to new viruses, but to say that I won't use an anti-virus until I get infected seems kind of illogical. That being said it comes back to knowledge. You know the risk is there, I assume that you probably have some sort of firewall, possibly a backup regime and if you did get hit then you really have nobody to blame but yourself right :).

On the other hand, Joe Blow over here has 10 years of digital photo's, taken with his camera (that worked right out of the box I'm sure) and has never backed anything up, has no anti-virus because the commercial said he didn't need one, oh and has a habit of opening every single attachemnt (I'm sure none of us know anybody like that). We happens when a virus comes out for mac and eats all his photos??

My point is that I'm not saying the commercials are lying, everything they say can be taken as truth in the proper context, and frankly for most of us they make no real difference. Personally I don't like macs, and these commercials are not going to make me want to go out and get one, just like the mac people here probably don't feel the need to switch to a PC whenever they see advertising for Windows etc. No, these commercials are targeting the people who don't have the knowledge and understanding to look beyond what is being said in them, and will take it all at face value.

**Disclaimer**

And just to clarify I too am not trying to start any kind of debate, I'm not saying that PC's are better then Macs or vice versa, but simply stating the issues, as I see them, with Apple's new line of advertisments.

I didn't state it clearly, but I wouldn't wait until I got infected before installing an AV app. I pay close attention to technology and security news, for both PC and Mac, so I would know when a virus attacking OS X was actually released.

Just to be fair, since we're being technical, I don't think the commercial actually stated that you don't need an AV app for the Mac. It does say that there are no viruses for the Mac, which is true. Granted, this could lead people to believe they don't need an AV app, but then we're kind of going in circles. ;)

No offense but HOW would you know it was released?

Would the infection not spread before people found out about it? Unless it was an advisory or something like that.

Not all viruses announce their presence on the web or elsewhere before wrecking havoc :)

Not all viruses announce their presence on the web or elsewhere before wrecking havoc :)

True, but I never caught any of the major PC viruses going around because I knew about them beforehand. When a genuine Mac virus is released it will be big news, so I'm not worried. If it so happens that day comes and I get infected, then I deserved it!

These commercials still are great, new ones are just as good as the originals :D

These commercials still are great, new ones are just as good as the originals :D

Except for those arrogant and condescending Intel and mac commercials they had for a while. Those pissed me off so much....

I still love that monkey switch parody... ooohh ohh ah ah aah!

The cake is no longer a lie! Bill said so!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back