• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

PC Starts Itself

I have recently built a new pc. P4, Gigabyte 478 mobo, 512 DDR. Lan, Audio and video onboard mobo, 80 gb Hard Drive WinXP Pro SP1.

The problem is, that after i shutdown using Windows ( i.e. start button> turn off computer), the PC will suddenly start itself up again randomly, it could be after 5 mins or 5 hours.
When the computer is turned off by holding in the on/off button, it stays off.
Any help please?
Thnx

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political User
Check out to see if you have wake on lan or something enabled, or wake on mouse movement - these options should be in your bios.

Electronic Punk said:
There was about a week, for some reason, that turning off my TV would turn on my PC. :)
Lol? I wonder what that could have been. AC power drop that reset the PSU and triggered an "auto ON after power fail"?

Power surges when you turn stuff on and off at home can trigger the "power on after failure" if you have it set in bios. Change the bios to "saty off after a power failure".

And put a good surge protector on the PC. It sounds like you have a soft power network in your house. That's dangerous. If your competent to do it pop the cover off the breaker panel and snug down all the screws connecting the wires to the breakers. If you have aluminum wiring just sell the place and move.

LeeJend said:
Power surges when you turn stuff on and off at home can trigger the "power on after failure" if you have it set in bios. Change the bios to "saty off after a power failure".

And put a good surge protector on the PC. It sounds like you have a soft power network in your house. That's dangerous. If your competent to do it pop the cover off the breaker panel and snug down all the screws connecting the wires to the breakers. If you have aluminum wiring just sell the place and move.
Do doors open themselves? Faucets suddenly turn on? Sounds like there's a ghost in your house. Yeah, you know you just got a cold chill up your spine. :-D

Oh man, i needed a good laugh today...CALL THE EXORCIST!!!

Seriously...check ur bios man...I had a friend with that mobo and it was a bit finicky at first...

cldeans

OSNN One Post Wonder
Hey SupaTek

Did this solve the problem? Becs we are having the same problem, even after checking the BIOS - I think we got everything in the wake up turned off, but the computer is still restarting itself after hours...

Cate

cldeans said:
Hey SupaTek

Did this solve the problem? Becs we are having the same problem, even after checking the BIOS - I think we got everything in the wake up turned off, but the computer is still restarting itself after hours...

Cate
Yeah, it's working fine now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timpage