PC Starts Itself

SupaTek

OSNN Addict
I have recently built a new pc. P4, Gigabyte 478 mobo, 512 DDR. Lan, Audio and video onboard mobo, 80 gb Hard Drive WinXP Pro SP1.

The problem is, that after i shutdown using Windows ( i.e. start button> turn off computer), the PC will suddenly start itself up again randomly, it could be after 5 mins or 5 hours.
When the computer is turned off by holding in the on/off button, it stays off.
Any help please?
Thnx

Check out to see if you have wake on lan or something enabled, or wake on mouse movement - these options should be in your bios.

There was about a week, for some reason, that turning off my TV would turn on my PC. :)

its posessed.. or maybe the case switch or the wires to the switch is somehow shorting thus connecting the switch to power on the pc

Electronic Punk said:
There was about a week, for some reason, that turning off my TV would turn on my PC. :)
Lol? I wonder what that could have been. AC power drop that reset the PSU and triggered an "auto ON after power fail"?

sounds freaky ... something from a mystery movie.....but still it makes life complete

Power surges when you turn stuff on and off at home can trigger the "power on after failure" if you have it set in bios. Change the bios to "saty off after a power failure".

And put a good surge protector on the PC. It sounds like you have a soft power network in your house. That's dangerous. If your competent to do it pop the cover off the breaker panel and snug down all the screws connecting the wires to the breakers. If you have aluminum wiring just sell the place and move.

LeeJend said:
Power surges when you turn stuff on and off at home can trigger the "power on after failure" if you have it set in bios. Change the bios to "saty off after a power failure".

And put a good surge protector on the PC. It sounds like you have a soft power network in your house. That's dangerous. If your competent to do it pop the cover off the breaker panel and snug down all the screws connecting the wires to the breakers. If you have aluminum wiring just sell the place and move.
Do doors open themselves? Faucets suddenly turn on? Sounds like there's a ghost in your house. Yeah, you know you just got a cold chill up your spine. :-D

I've fiddled around with the bios power settings (disabled wake up on lan etc) and so far it seems to be ok.

Oh man, i needed a good laugh today...CALL THE EXORCIST!!!

Seriously...check ur bios man...I had a friend with that mobo and it was a bit finicky at first...

celticfan11 said:
.. or maybe the case switch or the wires to the switch is somehow shorting thus connecting the switch to power on the pc
I would have to agree.

Hey SupaTek

Did this solve the problem? Becs we are having the same problem, even after checking the BIOS - I think we got everything in the wake up turned off, but the computer is still restarting itself after hours...

Cate

cldeans said:
Hey SupaTek

Did this solve the problem? Becs we are having the same problem, even after checking the BIOS - I think we got everything in the wake up turned off, but the computer is still restarting itself after hours...

Cate

Yeah, it's working fine now.

believe it or not, when I had my old mac I could turn it on with my friends tv remote

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back