• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Passwords in XP HOME.

F

Flatbeat_Eddy

How do i password protect folders in Winxp home edition.?

i set up a limited account for my brother, but he can access and delete any files he wants in MY DOCUMENTS folder,, can i protect it with a password?

im on windows xp home edition, and i have sp1

hD is Fat32.

thx

matt

S

Supplicium

i dont belive u can i know my friend couldnt password protect his files but i know u can in xp pro. i think that is 1 of the few differnces b/w home and pro.

Users of Windows XP Home Edition are locked out of the full range of file-security options with one noteworthy exception: When you restart Home Edition in Safe Mode you’ll find the full Windows 2000–style access control editor. This back door is designed for recovery of protected files after a system crash, but a determined Home Edition user can take advantage of it to set permissions on files and folders.
If you understand NTFS permissions and need to use them, get Windows XP Professional.

Henyman

Secret Goat Fetish
Political User
u need 2 convert 2 ntfs file system.

once you have done this go to c:>>user acounts

right click the name that you need and go down 2 properties. one of the options is "make this folder private" doing this will mean only you can acess ur files.even fellow admins can't get in:p all files in the "my documents" folder will be private now.

this only works on an ntfs file system so you have 2 convert your harddrive.

F

Flatbeat_Eddy

well i have a recovery disk for my comp, if i need to reinstall everythink when i convert,, can i go back to FAT32 from NTFS?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
doertilog