Passwords in XP HOME.

F

Flatbeat_Eddy

How do i password protect folders in Winxp home edition.?

i set up a limited account for my brother, but he can access and delete any files he wants in MY DOCUMENTS folder,, can i protect it with a password?

im on windows xp home edition, and i have sp1

hD is Fat32.

thx

matt

i dont belive u can i know my friend couldnt password protect his files but i know u can in xp pro. i think that is 1 of the few differnces b/w home and pro.

Users of Windows XP Home Edition are locked out of the full range of file-security options with one noteworthy exception: When you restart Home Edition in Safe Mode you’ll find the full Windows 2000–style access control editor. This back door is designed for recovery of protected files after a system crash, but a determined Home Edition user can take advantage of it to set permissions on files and folders.
If you understand NTFS permissions and need to use them, get Windows XP Professional.

u need 2 convert 2 ntfs file system.

once you have done this go to c:>>user acounts

right click the name that you need and go down 2 properties. one of the options is "make this folder private" doing this will mean only you can acess ur files.even fellow admins can't get in:p all files in the "my documents" folder will be private now.

this only works on an ntfs file system so you have 2 convert your harddrive.

well i have a recovery disk for my comp, if i need to reinstall everythink when i convert,, can i go back to FAT32 from NTFS?

There are commercially available utilities that can convert NTFS partitions/formats back to Fat 32 or even Fat16.

Partition Magic for one.

any 3rd party apps to password folders and harddrives?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back