• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Partitions and XP

L

lazimutha

I am going to do a clean install of XP and I have 2 harddrives, one 30Gb and 4Gb. I am thinking of partitioning my HD and was wondering what the advantages of partitions are and what would be the best for my system. Any ideas? Thanks!

best for your hard drive space would probably be:
c: 4 or 5 gigs for OS
d:10+ gigs for programs
e: rest for storage

...thats pretty much how i have mine set:
c: 5 gigs OS
d:15gigs proggies
e: 10 gigs games n graphix stuff
f: 30 gigs storage

2 hard drives: 20 and 40 WD 7200 rpm

L

lazimutha

Thanks for the info! So what made you want to partition your drive then? Any advantages over just one primary partition???

Lukas

Real Name No Gimmicks
Advanteges:

* multiple boot
* scandisk doesn't take forever
* defrag doesn't take forever
* format doesn't take forever
* order (apps there, os's there, mp's there, and docs there)
* ability to take a back-up to another partition while formatting your primary partition
* swap file optimization
* etc...

Disadventages:

* none I can think of... :D

Greetz

Lukas

L

lazimutha

So if I had one partition for windows, and another partition for apps, and windows corrupted, would I have to reinstall all of the apps when i formatted and reinstalled windows? Also, does partitioning increase the performance of the computer??

D

DarkSiege

Partitioning your hard drive just splits it into multiple "parts" so you can scan less files or defrag less if you only do it to one drive so it basically just organizes better. There isnt a big difference in performance I think...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timpage