Partitions and XP

L

lazimutha

I am going to do a clean install of XP and I have 2 harddrives, one 30Gb and 4Gb. I am thinking of partitioning my HD and was wondering what the advantages of partitions are and what would be the best for my system. Any ideas? Thanks!

best for your hard drive space would probably be:
c: 4 or 5 gigs for OS
d:10+ gigs for programs
e: rest for storage

...thats pretty much how i have mine set:
c: 5 gigs OS
d:15gigs proggies
e: 10 gigs games n graphix stuff
f: 30 gigs storage

2 hard drives: 20 and 40 WD 7200 rpm

Thanks for the info! So what made you want to partition your drive then? Any advantages over just one primary partition???

Advanteges:

* multiple boot
* scandisk doesn't take forever
* defrag doesn't take forever
* format doesn't take forever
* order (apps there, os's there, mp's there, and docs there)
* ability to take a back-up to another partition while formatting your primary partition
* swap file optimization
* etc...

Disadventages:

* none I can think of... :D

Greetz

Lukas

main reason i did it is so that WHEN (not if) the OS takes a dump and fu**s up on me....I won't lose anything =]

So if I had one partition for windows, and another partition for apps, and windows corrupted, would I have to reinstall all of the apps when i formatted and reinstalled windows? Also, does partitioning increase the performance of the computer??

Partitioning your hard drive just splits it into multiple "parts" so you can scan less files or defrag less if you only do it to one drive so it basically just organizes better. There isnt a big difference in performance I think...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back