Our Favorite Tweaks

I use this feature everyday, and almost nobody knows about it.

the title bar on your brwoser is a "make smaller make bigger" button

just double click anywhere in that instaead of those two tiny little boxes...does the same thing

These are some nice tweaks .. A couple of them worked for me pretty well

by Xsivforce)

Open regedit and Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\

if the following key doesn't already exist,
right click on the CLSID folder > new key > {21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}

Now, click the new key and in the right panel > right click on (default) choose Modify > add value data >[whatever you want to write].
Close Regedit.

Now, open your control panel and check the title bar.

OR

make your way here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}

Double-click (Default) in the right side and type:- Out of Control Panel

Perris, thats probably a nifty tweak, but it might help if you tell us what it does first ;)

how the hell sould I know?

casey put it up like two years ago or something...I just cut and paste

I wash my hands of it

try this

type;

xsive control

in the area that says "whatever you want to wirte"

then open up your control panel and look at the tool bar

someday you will have to have a "tweak" that just custimizes everyone elses machine by branding it "PERRIS"

Custom RUN commands

I was wondering to myself today, how does windows know where the files are when I use things like "regedit" or "dxdiag" for example when using the RUN command? Well after some poking around the registry then getting a clue and realising something I came back with the following method.

All you have to do to get any program to RUN with whatever you type is, say for example:

I make a shortcut to firebird and place it in my windows root folder (C:\WINDOWS\), I rename the shortcut to "firebird". Now every time I type "firebird" into the run command, it loads up the path in the shortcut. My productivity has increased a lot with this trick!

This could be very useful for custom batch files or the like, say make a batch called "iprenew" then dump it in the windows directory. Just to give you guys a few ideas at just how useful this trick can be.
Code:
@echo off
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
pause

Enjoy!

when you want to organize your favorites, do it from the windows explorere, and not the internet explorer

type "favorites" in the run box, hit enter, and do your arranging from that folder...much easier

also, I make my most used folders to be duplicate folders and peper them top, middle and bottom of my favorites list'

this way I don't have to scroll to the top or bottom for particular folders, they are everywhere

chaos945 said:
I was wondering to myself today, how does windows know where the files are when I use things like "regedit" or "dxdiag" for example when using the RUN command? Well after some poking around the registry then getting a clue and realising something I came back with the following method.

All you have to do to get any program to RUN with whatever you type is, say for example:

I make a shortcut to firebird and place it in my windows root folder (C:\WINDOWS\), I rename the shortcut to "firebird". Now every time I type "firebird" into the run command, it loads up the path in the shortcut. My productivity has increased a lot with this trick!

There is a system variable called PATH (which is a list of directories c:\windows; c:\windows\system etc) which Windows looks in if it can't find the program in the current directory. You can view/edit the path by going to system properties -> advance tab -> Environment Variables (can also get it from typing 'path' in the command prompt.
You could for example add a new directory to keep all your shortcuts in instead of putting them in the windows folder, just to keep things nicer and organised

perris said:
gotta love those 0_87

gonna love the next one also

you can add whatever you want to your right click "send to" menue;

hit windows key+r

paste the following;

sendto

hit enter.

in the window that pops up, just drag whatever folder you would like included in your sendto menue

Thank you. That answers my question in my post.

got something brand new boys and girls

gonna let you have a quick launch button for "new folder"
so you don't have to do all that right clicky ckicky

this is pretty simple

first create a new folder on your desktop... then drag your new folder over to your quick launch location

now, whenever you want a new folder anywhere, you can control+drag the folder

not bad, as you won't lose focus when your in a directory for your new folder

I wish there was a double click way to do this, but for now, this is pretty good

if you want to use explorer to get to the quick launch folder, it's

C:\Documents and settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Lanch

change user name to "perris"

otherwise you'll never get there

oh, also rename your computer to;

perris

very important, otherwise this will never work

I didin't know thia about cmd!

ha, I didin't know you can cut and paste in command prompt

first make your cut

then right click in the title bar of command prompt, hit edit, hit paste

man I feel pretty darned foolish

if the option doesn't work for you, you ahve to enable it;

Right-click the title bar of the command prompt window, click Properties.

hit the Options tab, under Edit Options, select pop in QuickEdit Mode if it isn't already selected...

then click OK.

a dialogue pops up

clicky clicky;
Modify shortcut that started this window to apply QuickEdit mode every time you start the MS-DOS-based program.
Click OK.

done

also if you have it turned on you can auto complete the driectory name by hitting 'tab'....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back