#osnn IRC channel (irc.freenode.net)

Re: #osnn IRC channel

Geffy said:
right now I think irc.osnn.net just cnames to irc.squeaknet.net which is of course dead at the moment. If it was its own server, then yeah the Java app would have an easier time connecting. If you do go ahead with that let me know and I can link up another couple of servers.

I can set up an IRC server on the server, however we are not allowed to link any servers outside of it them, because of the rules that are set by The Planet.

xsivforce said:
I miss 'em :cry:

Me too :(

I used to feel all warm and fuzzy inside when J talked dirty :smoker:

J is all about the dirty talk

people were chatting today... good times.

of course its f'ed atm cause i can't get on

It's been f'ed for weeks. We need a real IRC server, that works!

It should have been *marginally* better over the last couple of days, but I agree we do need a properly functioning network

Been a bit better the last couple days. Once you google to find the name of some of the IRC servers run by Geffy. ;)

I might chat on some occasions.

What kind of bandwidth is needed to run a IRC server?

for OSNN? Tiny! It's all about uptime... more like - or rather keeping downtime short and sweet maybe? Ask Geffy - he could give you stats - I expect X-perience knows too (among others)

You can happily run an IRCd with a hand-full of users off a 28.8k modem. Put it that way :p

Stability and uptime are the key though.

I haff this PC you see...........

It has been running for weeks with no reboot, no monitor or accessory attached besides it running F@H.

It's a nice offer, however servers running off someone's DSL/Cable tend not to work too well (Squeaknet proved that).

SPeedY_B said:
It's a nice offer, however servers running off someone's DSL/Cable tend not to work too well (Squeaknet proved that).
very true. You really need datacenter housed servers for it. the main advantage of a datacentre housed server is that it doesnt have to move when you do.

with regards to bandwidth, it doesnt really need much, especially for the size which we are

True, my IP addy changes every 36 days or thereabouts.

I'll host it, my data center package is HUGE.

What do I need to do?

kcnychief said:
I'll host it, my data center package is HUGE.

What do I need to do?
Have an absolute guaranteed 99.9% uptime, make sure your provider will allow the hosting of an IRCd, and sell your soul to Matt.

Thems the rules.

and what about a fixed IP address and DNS maping? (or is that what you sell your soul for? :p )

I seriously doubt the huge datacentre package is required for #OSNN unless there's something I dont know about... but no doubt it could be utlized somehow and maybe the more the merrier with the right DNS -> IP mapping thinger going on....

The data-center is required for stability.

Little joey's AMD K6-2 350Mhz, running an out of date IRCd over a 64k line, whilst it may work wonderfully, isn't exactly the height of stability, and as much as you think it may be, neither is your home box/server/dsl/cable.

We don't need a dedicated 100mbit line and a quad opteron set-up, we just need stability. We are currently discussing the options for the IRC channel amongst the EP and the mods. Once a solution has been arranged, then we will announce it. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back