OS X 10.5 "Leopard"

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
A press release has been issued stating that Steve Jobs will be previewing Apple's next OS release, 10.5 "Leopard", at the World Wide Developer's Conference on August 7th. Leopard is expected to be released near the end of 2006 or the beginning of 2007.

Confirmed Features

Possible Features
  • A redesigned Finder with expanded use of Spotlight.
  • Virtualization software.
  • Collaborative editing tools.
  • OS-level integration of a geographical mapping technology.
  • Resolution independence (changing the effective screen resolution).
  • Quartz 2D Extreme activated by default (Quartz 2D Extreme was introduced in early Panther builds and the 2004 WWDC developer sessions said it would be activated in 10.3.0. However it wasn't, and when manually invoked with Quartz Debug there are visual artifacts which prevent it being useful.
    (Added on 6/29)
  • iChat 4.0 to include the capability to call traditional phones
  • More transparency
  • Dashboard speed improvements
  • Solid metal (iTunes 5+) theme throughout the user interface
  • Tabbed iChat and whiteboarding
  • Remote control access (VNC-like)
  • Finder enhancements, including increased Spotlight integration
    (Added on 8/03)
  • Virtual Desktops
  • Improved file syncing
  • Improved Spotlight

Last edited:
Nice, good to know I have something else to buy around Christmas...lol

Update: Added some new rumored features to the first post. Below is a video of what is claimed to be a "Pre-Release" of OS X 10.5. So far there is no confirmation of its authenticity.

Shown here is a new Finder with tabbed-browsing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJckQCDabrw

Last edited:
A tabber Finder. If this is a pre-release I am sorry to say, but it still does not really look like Finder was re-created. It has practically been the same since the early Mac OS's. I was really hoping for something revolutionary coming from Apple.

you cant be too revolutionary or people won't "get" it. They might have an end result in mind for finder which requires getting there in stages as they slowly migrate the paradigms the user works in

*fake dance*

Until I see the presentation at WWDC06 (Or have an early leak running on my iBook :p), everything I see will be deemed fake, there's far too many fake screenshots and video(s) around at the moment for any of them to be taken seriously.

With WWDC 2006 coming up next week, there are some more reports on Leopard features.

From macosXrumors:

Among the biggest revelations of these recent reports is that virtual desktops are finally arriving on Mac OS X, allowing users to arrange their windows in a much larger workspace than currently.

Another important improvement on Leopard is file syncing. The .Mac-based file syncing is now account-wide and not only for contacts, mail, calendars and keychains as it is the case on Tiger. Sources also told us that syncing has its own API, allowing any developer to implement .Mac file syncing in its software very easily.

Sources could not confirm our reports from last year of a totally revamped Finder. However, they claimed that Spotlight performance has been significantly improved and that the whole system’s look and feel now fits better with iLife ‘06.

Remote control access is already built in to the operating system, as is a VNC server.

Might also be worth noting that the Growl developers are holding of releasing their next version until after WWDC, due speculation of a notification system being built into 10.5. :)

I really like Growl, but I've got no problem with a built-in system.

The devs have said they will simply re-direct all Growl notifications to the new in-built system if that was to happen.

I don't want an in-built system, I like Growl too much, the open source nature gives people more control over adding features, an Apple implementation wouldn't be as expandable. However it wouldn't be the first time Apple has copied one of it's developers (Think Konfabulator).

Same applies with virtual desktops, I don't think these guys will be happy: http://virtuedesktops.info/

I really like the growl notifications, I hope apple arent too "ours is the best" and make it so that we cant use our growl themer-thinger-ators with theirs

PowerPage.org has all sorts of what looks to be solid information about Leopard's feature-set. There are a lot of details and some screenshots to be viewed there, so I'll just sum-up the features here.

Spotlight 2.0
Dashboard 2.0
Safari 3.0
iChat 4.0
Automator 2.0
QuickTime 7.2
Mail 3.0
iCal 3.0
Address Book 5.0

yay! I might be able to skip 10.4 altogether and just upgrade to Leopard after christmas :laugh:

{I'm still dragging 10.3.9 behind me lol }

PowerPage.org has all sorts of what looks to be solid information about Leopard's feature-set. There are a lot of details and some screenshots to be viewed there, so I'll just sum-up the features here.

Spotlight 2.0
Dashboard 2.0
Safari 3.0
iChat 4.0
Automator 2.0
QuickTime 7.2
Mail 3.0
iCal 3.0
Address Book 5.0
They have screenshots though... where on earth would they get hold of the Leopard Preview DVD?

The feature list being leaked I can agree with, though I won't believe it until I see it up on stage (or a Leopard Preview DVD finds it's way to my iBook ;))

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back