Old SP2 Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found an upgrade to the VIA drivers on the net.... gonna install those and try again !!

Will let you know how i get on... (The slipstream is not the problem... would not boot after a "normal" SP" upgrade !! )

Not worked... I guess it must some hardware incompatibility. Tried everything. Install, safe mode then install video drivers... but they will not install as "the standard VGA driver" is not installed.." Could not find this in SP2.. existed before !! I guess its a manufacturers problem.. just have to be patient :)

Advent Laptop. (Model 7039) AMD 3000/64 CPU. 512 mem. XP-Pro SP1. Graphics: ATI Mobile 9600 64 meg on board ram. Using ATI drivers.

It seems like a graphics problem. Using the Network SP2 the machinere-boots to the Win XP screen, then freezes. Using a fresh install, agter first boot, the machine errorsas described above.

I'm mystified !! I'll wait for the online update and see what that brings !!

BTW.... been on this site from the old NTFS days, first time i ever posted !!

Dennis

i installed sp2 and lost the ability to add new themes. i know about the uxtheme.dll and will do that but what really bothered me was my comp just seemed to slow down and my net connection came to a crawl. anyone have this problem?

seperatist said:
i installed sp2 and lost the ability to add new themes. i know about the uxtheme.dll and will do that but what really bothered me was my comp just seemed to slow down and my net connection came to a crawl. anyone have this problem?
Try doing a complete defrag. It can help with the overall sluggishness.
smile.gif

I dunno. From my end, I've never had luck putting a service pack on top of an existing installation. Ever since my old Windows 2000 days, I've just used the occasion of a new service pack as an excuse to reformat and reinstall. I think that many of you here having troubles might be best served with this knowledge.

Melon

Microsoft delays Automatic Update rollout of XP SP2

Microsoft has decided to suspend the rollout of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) via Automatic Updates in order to provide its corporate customers with more time to install an SP2 download blocking mechanism that the company provided last week. For this reason, XP Home users will start receiving XP SP2 via Automatic Updates starting on Thursday, August 18, while XP Professional users will start receiving the update via Automatic Updates on Thursday, August 25. Under the original schedule, both sets of users would have started receiving the update today.

Source :http://www.wininsider.com/news/?7340

Hmm, does this mean I've slipstreamed and fresh installed for nothing? :(

No not at all this is just giving them time to get a patch out that will allow them not to have sp2 rammed down your throats as critical, for all the company's that have their machines set to automatically take updates they would all be force feed this pos update that ends up breaking tons of applications even applications from microsoft themselves ( talk about shabby programming ) but thats why they are stalling.

Kermit_The_Frog said:
this pos update that ends up breaking tons of applications even applications from microsoft themselves ( talk about shabby programming )
I'm starting to wonder if I was one of the lucky ones...I'm using quite a number of apps that are on their "Known issues with SP2" list, and I haven't had a problem with any of them. Heck, I didn't even do a clean install...this is just with a simple update.

Only problem I had (on my main machine) was with Nero. Had to upgrade to latest version (6.3.1.20).... then it was fine...

Only problem so far with me, program-wise, has been the freeware RegSeeker. It locks up the computer when it performs a scan of the registry to find any deletable entries. Been using this proggy for a long time with no probs, until I installed SP2.

Heeter

Well I hope you all donthave too many problems thats for sure but if it was not a problem, I am sure they would not delay it yet again and even make a patch that will stop this SP from installing itself. I for one had the trouble with nortons anti-virus where it was saying that it was unable to tell me the status of my anti-virus. Of course with an update that was fixed. But I understand there will be a growing pain here for microsoft and all the people that haveing been used to writing programs one way, they will now need to change the way they code, and this is going to take a little time and effort. We also need to take the time and effort to update and get things set, after all its not like Microsoft is used to haveing to make secure products.

Kermit_The_Frog said:
I for one had the trouble with nortons anti-virus where it was saying that it was unable to tell me the status of my anti-virus.
That's a very minor issue. I experienced the same thing with Symantec 9.0, but the patch was simple enough to install. Besides, even without the patch, there's no real harm. The AV itself works fine, and will continue to keep you protected. The only thing is it won't be monitored by Security Center, but then again, who really looks at Security Center anyway.

But I understand there will be a growing pain here for microsoft and all the people that haveing been used to writing programs one way, they will now need to change the way they code, and this is going to take a little time and effort.
Well, progress demands change.
smile.gif

Windows 95 was a big leap, and Windows programmers had to change the way they coded in order to effectively make use of the advances that the new OS offered. It was a big change, and it took time and effort, but everyone benefitted at the end of it. Longhorn is going to be the same way...there are lots of changes in the Windows API. It's all heading towards .NET and managed code, at least on the Windows side of things. You'll see a lot more applications making use of C# and XAML in the coming years.

1) MS had to have a list of any problems experienced. I'd say that probably half of the listed programs came from people that had other issues and it was easy to blame on SP2

2) MS is smart to delay or stagger the deployment a) so corps can figure out how they are gonna handle it and b) so they don't have every XP user out there hitting the MS servers at once.

I would think that list came from Corporate level seeing as SP2 is not on public server, and at that level I am sure they were asked to make it so that they wont be force fed something that will set them 1000's of man hours of work.

I was wondering if anyone was still having trouble downloadind sp2 using the express downloader. Cuz I've been trying now for a few day to get it to work and I keep getting told that a connection couldn't be made with the server. I don't wanna wait till it comes out on windows automatic update cuz I'm on dial up and automatic update brings my system to a total crawl whenever it looks for updates or updates my system.

Here's a pic of the error.

Attachments

• xpsp2 error.JPG
    xpsp2 error.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 79
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back