Old SP2 Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey zino,

My ICS service has dissappeared from my MMC list too. And I can't disable my Automatic Updates service either.

Heeter

The SP2 firewall completely blocked out my ICS. Anyone know a fix? Doesn't seem to be trusted zones in the XP firewall and if I use the exception list I have to find out which port/s ICS uses.

The current SP2 is still listed today on Microsoft website as an "IT Resources " issue for network / multiple user systems.... ...home user release to follow.
Is this safe ??
I am downloading from napalmthemornings link as we speak... should take 1.25 hours.

It's the same service pack. The "IT Resource" download is just a larger file, and it can be deployed on multiple systems. The Express Installer contains only what you need for your particular setup.

Mine's worked fine... I'm running ICS on the box I installed SP2 on and I've had no issues as far as that goes. I even upgraded it from 2k to XP SP1, then installed SP2. I can enable ICS via the actual network connection that I want to share. I'm not sure why you guys would be having such a problem with it. :confused:

of course I didnt do it in IE :p
ICS problems eh... I guess I should wait for my 'router' pc to upgrade...
(yes linux might be better, but I heard that some function of MSN messenger doesnt work thru it..?)

I am currently running SP2, where I just slipstreamed it and did a fresh install. Everything seems to be running great, and I really love their improved wireless internet support and interface. No problems here! :)

Melon

melon said:
and I really love their improved wireless internet support and interface.
I agree. That's one of my favorite parts.
smile.gif

Heeter said:
Hey zino,

My ICS service has dissappeared from my MMC list too. And I can't disable my Automatic Updates service either.

Heeter

The ICS service is now the Windows Firewall service at same time

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

I also just wanted to mention that I really love what they did with Internet Explorer, as well! I know the pop-up blocker is long overdue, but what I really like is how they block all those inane "ActiveX" screens that some websites would abuse to bombard you with messages to download something nasty repeatedly until you download it. Now you just get a notification at the top of the screen, and if you really want it, you are free to click the notification; otherwise, you are free to just move on, rather than being forced to click "No" on a window.

Melon

Hi
I am on 56k dial up and so hate automatic updates :) Can you still disable them in the old way? Or are they locked on with SP2 ?

Yes you can turn it off. Its in the new Security Center area

dreamliner77 said:
Aren't you all fancy and stuff...

But man, use better blanks than Imations.
Hehe...I don't really stick to any particular brand of CD-R/RWs. Imations were just what I happened to get this time. Haven't had a problem with any of them so far.
wink.gif

Hope one of you guys can help :)

Just appempted to upgrade my laptop from XP-Pro SP1 to SP2, using the network version from MS.

After re-boot... NOTHING .. blank screen.

Then made a slipstream version and tried a full re-format an install (to look for error messages) ... After first re-boot... Blue screen as follows:

"The Video Driver failed to initialize

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS

memorty options such as caching or shadowing. Use Safe mode etc.....

***STOP: 0x0000000B4 (0X8213EDF8, 0X82064000, 0X820663000, 0X00050000)

Begining dump of phsical memory.... etc...."

(BTW - installs fine using my slipstreamed SP1)

Laptop is Advent 7039 - AMD 3000 64 bit 512Meg mem. Have checked advent site but no bios upgrade etc....

Bios does not allow you to do much anyway !!

Anyone got any ideas... ??? I'm getting frustrated :)

I also had problems with SP2 Slipstreamed, but then I have an SATA drive and that was where my problem lay.

Eventually did an SP1 install and upgraded to SP2, try giving that another go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back