NvNews + OSNN + SP Folding Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Folding@home Team page created.

13,000 even :smoker:

@vivid, you can scroll up the console window, I think it tells you but I am not sure.

vivid_vibe said:
Guys,

If I'm running the service-only version of FAH, is there a way to see which type of unit I'm working on, like its point value, etc.?

If you go to page 9 of this thread, post # 176, maddoctor gave some information on folding and the answer to your question. See the "Extra Programs" at the bottom. EM III is a program called Electron Microscope, found at http://home.comcast.net/~wxdude1/emsite/download.html. Post # 176 has links to other informative pages.

Thanks, tom9042. That's the info I needed. :)

sharob said:
There are a couple of tools available.
A nice small one is FahMON available from: http://fahmon.silent-blade.org/
Or for a bit more information, try Electron Microscope (EMIII): http://home.comcast.net/~wxdude1/emsite/download.html
Yes they are really good.I have mentioned them already ( http://www.osnn.net/forum/showthread.php?t=636&page=35&pp=20 )
Guys, I'm running some 450 points proteins that they rock.The FahMon is the only programm from the 2 (FaHLogStats is the other), that monitors them correctly. Only from them, from 4000 points I was making the month, I reached for the same time 6500!!! :)

It's great that we have so many people folding now. That's one of the reasons that we're now in the top 250 teams.

But I'd also like to acknowledge Steevo for reaching 300,000 points. That's just about 4 times the second person, MainFrameGuy, who's at 76,000.

Thanks Steevo for all the help with the team!

For those of you on the team who use the service-only version of FAH, I have to say that FAHmon is the neatest little program to have. It can be downloaded here. Thanks to everyone who suggested it to me. Just wanted to chime in on this thread, since no one has in a while. Happy folding!

vivid

I just thought i would bump this thread, even though it has a sticky, because I have noticed that the folding is falling into a slight decline. We had a peak of maybe a hundred CPUs showing as folding and on a very good 24 hour period might clock in as high as 5,000 points. Now we are down to about 75 active CPUs and on a good day will not post more than 2,500 points I think.

I expect some of this could be seasonal - for my own part I know I have reduced the percentage my CPUs fold at down to 80 rather than the flat out 98 because when the temperatures were hitting 30oC with summertime (theoretically) here it was giving me some heat issues. Another possibility is that as people are moving to 64 bit processors they are running 64 bit OS and so are awaiting a 64 bit client, but I cannot belive that is affecting the majority of folders.

Anyway, maybe with this bump we will get a few newcomers in the OSNN world having a go at folding.... it is kind of a neat way to keep your machines occupied when they are not doing things for you - especially if you leave them powered up and online for whatever reason I would commend this as a worthy cause.

I'll also be sure to hand out reps to those I notice joining folding - if that is any incentive...

i lost a bunch of computers at work. I may try to get one or two slower machines up and folding again. I dont fold at home with my rig because i shut it down for 15 hours a day now (work/sleeping) to save power/money.

I shut down mine at home due to heat and loss of DSL.

The ones at work are still going though.

if someone wants to donate me some cash as my server has went *pop* then i could set one up :p

Where should I ship my PC? :D

em, shipping from Colorado to Scotland will be expensive... probably more than the pc is worth :s

I took down the slow server since I have to pay for electricity now. I turn my main rig off at night due to noise. The Gentoo server still chugs on 24/7 though.

Got some basic questions and was not about to read 37 pages so please bare with me...

1.) The first post on the first page has this tidbit in it:
AMD USERS and to an extent some Intel users, you can use this in your command line to speed up WU processing.

-advmethods -forceSSE

Just enter that in your command line and you will be able to contribute more WU's faster. It should look like this.

"C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winFAH.exe" -advmethods -forceSSE

What exactly is this doing and do I need to do it upon every restart?

2.) Looking at some of your signatures you guys are pumping out massive results. Now of course this isn't a competition, every bit helps. But seriously, how in the world are you getting these results? I have a decet rig, amd64 3500 and 1gig memory why in the world does it take me 2 days to complete a cycle?

3.) Temps., mainly I'm worried about my cpu temp. I checked out mbm as I was going to plug it into my latest toy Samurize, but my specific motherboard isn't supported (GIGABYTE GA-K8NF-9). Is there an alternative? Everset doesn't display anything and I know it has sensors as it shows the temps. in the bios.

I'll shed some light here... I hope .....

I think the paramters and .exe you quoted are old versions and it is my belief that the latest version (FAH502-console.exe) both runs (optionally) as a service and incorporated these options built in. I think during configuration they may be referred to as Advanced Assembly instructions or something similar.... MadDoctor may be able to shed light in this area, he seems somewhat the folding "guru".

The means by which some people post larger results are two fold - one is the simple passage of time (it has taken me more than a year to fold the units I have done!). In this respect people are commonly leaving their rigs up 24/7 also. The second factor is that it is quite common for people to have a number of rigs - my primary is, as you can see from sig, very much like yours probably but I also run a 1900+ box and even have folding running on my centrino laptop too. In the past I had other machines and at one point LordofLa folded a few units for me when I lent him a CPU! At it's most extreme you have Steevo who has been able to dedicate a server farm or something to his folding project!

Lastly temperatures - sorry mbm does not seem to support your mobo - it may be worthwhile playing around with it anyway since although you cannot naturally select the exact model sometimes I believe you can inspect the monitoring and find it is picking up the temps anyway. But as some general advice I recently found my rigs were hitting temperature problems when I had them allocate to fold "flat out" with all spare CPU capacity. The solution was really a simple one for me and seems completely effective - I reduced the allocated folding percentage to 85% and now all seems well. Just something you may want to consider....

Now I'll go and see if you are on the team sheet and rep you if so :laugh: :smoker:

I'm guessing I'm on the team sheet--I've registered on my own page. Thanks for shedding some light. =) I saw Steevo's numbers and figured he had to have a few rigs setup to get those numbers.

I played a bit with mbm choosing a couple different but close mobos and the cpu temp doesn't register. Shame really.

The fastest is still my home PC a whopping 2.8 OC'd Prescott @ 2.9X (read as hot, noisy) while it is no big problem in the winter, the 100ish summers is about all the AC can do to keep it 68 in here without the PC running, or running F@H.

So far as the rest? Being a system-network admin has advantages. :D

It will pick back up to 1800-2000 a day for me this winter.

Back up to 2 CPU's. Went from 3 down to 1 for long time.

working...working...working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back