NTFS vs FAT32 <-----SPEED AND PERFORMANCE

F

Fingers

Please don't flame my post. I do see other posts on ntfs vs. fat32. Even on this same page. Like two posts underneath this.

Anyway. i know about stability, security, size of partition, all that jazz. I want to know. What about performance. How does it compare?

I am big into performance because of gaming. I only want the best. I have searched and searched and one person I saw said that reportly ntfs was 5% slower then FAT32. Only one place. I want to use ntfs so i don't need to worry about the 32 gig partition size limit in xp.

Is this true. Can't anyone verify this?

I would greatly appreciate some insite from an intelligent folk. I have a 80 wd just waiting for me. I don't want to switch if it decreases my performance of game.

Thanks for all replies and thanks for your time

Fingers

ntfs is slightly slower as bigger clusters but more stable and dont **** up when you do bad shutdown.

cant understand u seening any downside in games with it not noticible.

Originally posted by john30uk
ntfs is slightly slower as bigger clusters but more stable and dont **** up when you do bad shutdown.

cant understand u seening any downside in games with it not noticible.

So you're saying I will not notice any decrease in performance?

Then I am a happy to hear that.

Anybody else have any input?????

I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your reply john30uk

Originally posted by Fingers
I want to use ntfs so i don't need to worry about the 32 gig partition size limit in xp.

I have an 80 GB FAT32 partition on my HD under XP (for 100MB+ files), though I think I usd Partiton Magic to create it :)

NTFS should be faster on big drives (about >32GB). Also, above that FAT32 starts wasting space pretty heavily (big clusters). Besides, games don't use the hdd much except wihle starting and loading levels. I suggest you use NTFS.

Originally posted by catch23
I've always noticed my system was much faster running NTFS...just disable the 8.3 Name creation and Last Access Timestamp

I get same results catch23 :) and as others have mentioned, NTFS is better in times of disaster, as it doesnt screw up ya files if you have a bad shutdown, and recovering files is much better.

You'd be nutz in my opinion to use XP on FAT32.

NTFS is quickest on single partition disks
If want speed dont partition
If you've got 2 x disks the same speed install your games to the other disk away from XP's busy system activity.

;)

I just want to thank you very much for your replies!

Very much appreciated!!!!!!

Now I feel good going ahead and making that drive ntfs.

TwoZigzagColt45 - quickest on single disk?

Could you expand? Anybody else have any feeling towards this.

I was going to partion the 80gig 50/50. That way i would put the os on C: along with apps. Then put all my games on D:

I then have a another 20 gig I was going to put as E: for my downloading drive and all my file extractions and plain messing around drive so i don't mess with the os part of things any way.

Oh i was going to leave the 20gig as just that. Both WD's. Both 7200 rpm.

Thanks again.. U are all a lot of help!

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45
NTFS is quickest on single partition disks
;)
as soon as you create a logical partition you lose about 5% performance

Ahh i see!!!

hmmm so you would recommend a whole 80gig???

Thanks for the quick reply!

Fingers

At the end of day its all down to personal preference
I have a personal dislike for NTFS & no longer use it
PC mark now gives me a lower score on the HDD performance
3D mark is roughly the same
I've got a partition for everthing
Master Disk
7gig XP & Apps
28gig MP3's
20gig Backups & storage
Slave Disk
1gig pagefile
28gig game installs
9gig incoming downloads
1gig temporary internet files
After trying many combinations I think this is the setup I'm gonna keep - very happy with the way my PC runs.
:cool:

Ha ha ha ha ha
nice one catch
forgot to mention I like to mess about with cluster size as well
XP & Apps 4KB cluster
MP3's 32KB clusters
Backups 64KB cluster
pagefile 16 KB cluster
temporary internet files 8KB cluster
Game Installs 16KB clusters
:p

okay let me bring this into a conclusion.

NTFS = GOOD - Use it with XP

Size of partion = ?

I ask this.. Is it good to have a single 80gig partiion?

I was always told to have somewhat small partions for defragmention purposes. That is the main reason I wanted to break my harddrive into pieces. Thats all!

I am going to have all important stuff on the one new harddrive and all my messing around on the other one.

This good?

Thanks again...this should be the end and thanks for your participation.

Yes, use NTFS with XP.

Partitions:
Create one large 80 gig which will have Windows and all your software on it.

On your second hard-disk, store all your documents, backups and other stuff you don't want to lose when you do a format.

If the second drive is a fast one with lots of free space, put the pagefile on that disk as well. It will help to improve performance.

Okay that is what I am doing......

Thanks a lot NetRyder!

I'm running with that idea.

Printing out everything I need right now and moving everything from my little 6 gig to 20. Then put the 80 and let er rip. <snicker> Its going to be great </snicker>

Originally posted by catch23
I've always noticed my system was much faster running NTFS...just disable the 8.3 Name creation and Last Access Timestamp

Where do i go to disable that stuff!!!!!!

haha I am such a pain the ass

So sorry! I understand if you run away..run far far away!!!

Ahh okay that would make sense. i was wondering.. I searched around. COuldn't find it.

Thanks again..

I need to get this crap done with..i need to get papers done and gaming to do!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back