norton utility v.s. ontrack system suite

Its OK if you like your machine making your decisions for you. But for those users that like to do things for themselves Norton Speed Disk is the business. You decide which files go 1st & last & its the only defragger I know that can defragment the bloated MFT zone :)

Diskkeeper can also do the MFT, there is also a new small defrag util that can do the Hiberfil and the Pagefile.

Originally posted by gtgarside
Diskkeeper can also do the MFT, there is also a new small defrag util that can do the Hiberfil and the Pagefile.
Folly ..... :rolleyes: Hiberfil and the Pagefile - disable - enable thats them done ....... as the for MFT zone Diskeeper wont alter the fact that windows wants 10% of your hard drive 3GIG into it putting a huge wedge between your files, were as Norton will make the MFT zone as big as it needs to be & not as a set percentage, Norton will also put the MFT zone @ the front of the drive and if you disable Hiberfil and the Pagefile before you defrag all your files will be truly contiguous, thus improving performance. Dont forget to put the page file back !! 1.5 x RAM
;)

Quote: "if you install it eats your reasources .....even with 1 gig of memeory"!!!!

(about Norton Utilities)

Granted, if it did'nt consume any resources it would be doing nothing!

"Speed Disk allows defragmentation of the system files - MFT "

The $MFT is only 1 of many "system" files on NTFS. There is also the $Logfile, $Bitmap, etc... SpeedDisk doesn't defragment the non-$MFT "system" files.

- Greg/Raxco Software

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility and a competitor to SpeedDisk, as a systems engineer in the support department.

SpeedDisk has a different "color" for the pagefile - which is separate from what it considers System files. I'm not sure what "color" it makes the hibernate file.

According to Symantec, SpeedDisk under Windows XP uses Microsoft's defrag APIs (under NT4 and Win2k, it doesn't). As Microsoft's defrag APIs don't support online defragmentation of the pagefile or hibernate file, how does SpeedDisk defragment them if it doesn't provide the ability to perform a boot time defrag?

- Greg/Raxco Software

:D Your right Greg the page file is a different colour & the only way to find out where the hiberfil is to disable it, then analyse the drive, that will show the hole in the data the size of your RAM. Now when the both hiberfil & page file are first created their position on the disk never changes, therefore these two rather large files never become optimized and interfere with the contiguousness of data. I've never used PerfectDisk so I don't know whether or not it actually does defragment the page file or hiberfil during a a boot time defrag, So the question is Greg will PerfectDisk move these two files to a better position on the disk or as I suspect does it leave them in the place they were first created, like norton speed disk & executive software Diskeeper

i think that all this messing with defrag is blocks
defrag is nessesary once you can realise that your pc's performance is flagging
defrag only ever seems to make defrag run faster
once a month no more and it lucky if it gets that

ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE

Originally posted by Iceman38
I hate these kinds of posts.

Y brand vs. X brand

they both do the job who cares, dang now 30 idiots are going to voice their opinion on which one is better, while the person who started the thread kicks back and laughs at the nonsense he or she caused.

boooooooooooooo :mad: :mad: :mad:

You've took my words ... very good ! ;)

PerfectDisk will "move" both the pagefile and the hibernate file (during its boot time defrag) to where it feels is better (where it fits in with PerfectDisk's file placement strategy).

- Greg/Raxco Software

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back