norton utility v.s. ontrack system suite

I hate these kinds of posts.

Y brand vs. X brand

they both do the job who cares, dang now 30 idiots are going to voice their opinion on which one is better, while the person who started the thread kicks back and laughs at the nonsense he or she caused.

boooooooooooooo :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ontrack blows the norton away is much more user friendly and offers plenty of options. I have it on my PC (ontrack) but i chose a custom install getting rid of the optional firewall and anti-virus because I have better programs for that. Its good for registry cleaning, possible hard drive failures and other things like defragging. Id go with Ontrack if i were you.

Originally posted by Iceman38
I hate these kinds of posts.

Y brand vs. X brand

they both do the job who cares, dang now 30 idiots are going to voice their opinion on which one is better, while the person who started the thread kicks back and laughs at the nonsense he or she caused.

boooooooooooooo :mad: :mad: :mad:
Uncalled for Iceman. If you don't like the topic and have nothing to contribute then why reply to it? This isn't YOUR personal stomping ground... if you haven't noticed, we have nearly 15,000 members.

taz. I'm not sure what you want to do with either suite. If there's a particular task you're interested in you'll likely get a better response by singling it out (for example a good registry cleaner). You can also do a forum search on 'Norton' and see what comes up for you.

Norton Speed Disk - second to none
Norton WinDoctor - second to none
Ontrack JetDefrag - Poor
Ontrack RegFixer - Poor
;)

i want to scan/fix/maintain my hdd for errors, optimize my windows' registry and check my system for any errors..

i can't try both software because i don't think there is a demo version of ontrack system suite available..

I'm quite sure if you looked hard enough you'll find what you want.

;)

Originally posted by Lonman
Uncalled for Iceman. If you don't like the topic and have nothing to contribute then why reply to it? This isn't YOUR personal stomping ground... if you haven't noticed, we have nearly 15,000 members.

Speaking of uncalled for....

I was only stating that too often these types of threads led to fighting, fierce arguements, and name calling that led to nowhere, nothing more.

As far as contributing to the thread, I believe I did by stating both products do a good job.

Where exactly in my post, did I state that these where MY personal stomping grounds? That statement was uncalled for.

But, your a mod. Lonman, feel free to edit or delete or censor any post of mine that you don't like.

Ice,Ice,Ice

that is what forums are for.... for people to ask questions,get other peoples knowledge!!

stay away from ontracks stuff... have done testing with it... not any good.... you are better off with norton (sorry to say)

Well I have Norton Utilities and find no problems on my PC, it keeps my PC nice and fast.
Norton Utilities has a good set of Utilities.. file protection, unerase utility incase you delete something by mistake and also a wipe utility that does a deeper delete than the normal one. There is a checkdisk utility, like XPs scandisk, but better, does more tests. A defragger, that allows you to set particular files/folders to be at the start or end of your drive, plus some other utilities (cant think off hand, as I dont use it all)

I haven't tried OnTrack, so I couldnt comment on that.

Well I agree with Ice, there are too many AMD vs Intel and Norton vs X and things like that.

Agreed debate is the easiest way to findout information and problems with things but I think that it would be more constructive to ask for features which are included in the programs that people particularly like.

But generally Norton tends to focus more on Protection and such.
Ontrack on the other hand is practically second to none in Data Recovery for the average user.

Just look and compare the featuers of each app suite and then choose, also a higher price may not mean a better product.

We had a pretty good discussion on this subject with me as the ginny pig on another site.

I'm not sure if it's permissible here to post links to another similar site, so if the moderators find this a no-no, you won't hurt my feelings if you delete them.

http://www.tweakxp.com/idealbb/view...D=2&catID=1&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={8F98AA76-4513-4D4D-90E1-75E621B487F1}

http://www.tweakxp.com/idealbb/view...D=8&catID=3&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={8F98AA76-4513-4D4D-90E1-75E621B487F1}

tweakxp is ok but there are a few bugs that i helped them with!!

Norton Utilities is the choice for fussy hard drive perfectionists, me included. Speed Disk allows defragmentation of the system files - MFT and custom placement of files of your choice (i.e., .dll's, .exe's). No other disk maintanence utility has allowed me hard drive scores of over 1200 with ATA100 - 7200 RPM at PCMark.:)

if you install it eats your reasources .....even with 1 gig of memeory!!!!

Originally posted by madman
if you install it eats your reasources .....even with 1 gig of memeory!!!!
Not on my machine
NortonFixit.JPG

I personally have found that Diskkeeper is the fastest of the Defrag utils, also it defrags when the filesystem needs it so you are always in good condition.

norton utility v.s. ontrack system suite
Originally posted by gtgarside
I personally have found that Diskkeeper is the fastest of the Defrag utils, also it defrags when the filesystem needs it so you are always in good condition.

Have you posted in the right thread. :rolleyes:

yep SnookBooger was commenting on the Norton Defrag util. I was just adding that Diskkeeper automatically defrags your hard drive when it gets to a certain degree of fragmentation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back