norton/symantec

i think symantec do a great job at discovering viruses and posting solutions on their site speedily and norton antivirus is v good and i love the personal firewall and the way it reports of all the programs accessing the internet it opened my eyes.
BUT you need to buy another stick of RAM which is too much just for a program

WOW!!!
I did not think my little rant would gather this much attention.
One of my biggest pet peeves with Symantec is you cannot use it then remove it. Once your crisis is over or you don't like that program's features uninstalling still leaves crap all over the place.
With this laptop I have found standalone problem specific software from lesser known developers a far better deal and easier on the system resources and your pocket book.

Everyone's system is different I guess - but I have had very little problems with removing NAV or NSW.

I have used the add/remove program utility and in almost all cases it has worked as advertised. I have gone from NSW 2000 to 2002 and just recently to 2003.

Only one time (on my daughters Compaq running Win98) did I have to use SymClean and I was notified that a portion of NAV had not removed properly during the add/remove function.

I continue to hear about problems with the removal - but there is very good documention and instructions on the Symantec site in regards to manual removal (cleanup) of both NSW and NAV!

And for those who do experience removal problems, Syamantec has a free removal tool on their site. Perhaps a step you wish weren't necessary, but at least they provide the support.

But as is the case with pretty much everything, whatever you (the individual user) think is the best probably is.

Yes, Symantec gives you many options and helpful tools/utilities:

SymClean - SymClean is a small program that is used as an emergency manual uninstallation tool that should only be used after you have tried to uninstall NSW using Add/Remove programs, or the Uninstall NSW option through the start menu options. Older versions of NSW must be uninstalled before NSW can be installed

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/pfdocs/2001101612274407

RNAV - You used the SymClean cleanup utility prior to installing Norton SystemWorks (NSW) or Norton AntiVirus (NAV) and cannot successfully install NAV. You then use the RNAV cleanup utility and NAV successfully installs.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/pfdocs/2002021415482007

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus by using the Rnav2003.exe removal utility

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back