new video card!

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Sorry I wanted to point out the differences that are talked about between the GTX and the GTS not any quad setups and that the single GTS beats out the SLI'ed 7950GX2's ....

Last edited:

Aprox

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
A single 7950GX2 is two 7900 GT(x?)'s put together for those that do not know. It is a SLi setup, two of these cards equals quad Sli. A single 8800GTS beats a single 7950GX2 but not a quad setup.

It might be confusing to some lemme break it down into a list.

7900 GT/GTX = Single Card, One GPU - Single Slot
7900 GT/GTX SLI = Two Cards, Dual GPU's - Two Slots

7950 GT = Single Card, One GPU - Single Slot
7950 GT SLI = Two Cards, Dual GPU's - Two Slots

7950 GX2 = Single Card, Dual GPU's - Single Slot
7950 GX2 SLI = Two Cards, Quad GPU's - Two Slots

8800 GTS/GTX = Single Card, One GPU - Single Slot
8800 GTS/GTX SLI = Two Cards, Dual GPU's - Two Slots

A 8800 GTS beats everything up to a SLi (quad) 7950GX2, and a 8800 GTX beats everything.

Last edited:

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User

Aprox

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Take it back? No, I wont do that. I will correct myself however. According to Toms Hardware it appears that the GTS and GTX are faster than anything else. However THG don't have the best track record when it comes to benchmarks.

Also, please use some commas or periods or something in your post... I had to read it like 5 times to understand what you were even saying. :p

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Take it back? No, I wont do that. I will correct myself however. According to Toms Hardware it appears that the GTS and GTX are faster than anything else. However THG don't have the best track record when it comes to benchmarks.

Also, please use some commas or periods or something in your post... I had to read it like 5 times to understand what you were even saying. :p

Well I will use , and . when you take that back :lick:

as if I care in the end , I was going to go with some form of SLI then I looked around and saw that there was no reason to with the 8800 I did not need tochange motherboards nor buy a 1000watt PSU , anyways in the end I am sure my 8800GTS will be beat by ATI and it starts again .

Aprox

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Maybe, Maybe not. The 8800GTS is a beast of a card as everyone knows now. With drivers getting better all the time the performance will only get better. Don't be so sure the R600 will beat the 8 series so easily either, we will have to wait and see on that one.

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
Something is wrong with those benchies. They show the 7950 GT as much faster than a 7950 GX2. That is plain wrong. The GX2 is a single board SLI of the 7950 chip using 32 BIT internal PCI-e. They did not have the right drivers installed or the setup was not correct for the GX2 to run properly.

My comment was based on evaluation of the hardware - GPU and RAM speed, memory bus width, pixel fill rate, number of shaders, etc. and is influenced by how well various games perform on SLI. Some games (i.e. benchies) show almost no benefit from SLI.

I'll look for some other benchies and see how they compare. Interesting issue, Tom's may have stepped on their extremity...

Last edited:

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Something is wrong with those benchies. They show the 7950 GT as much faster than a 7950 GX2. That is plain wrong. The GX2 is a single board SLI of the 7950 chip using 32 BIT internal PCI-e. They did not have the right drivers installed or the setup was not correct for the GX2 to run properly.

My comment was based on evaluation of the hardware - GPU and RAM speed, memory bus width, pixel fill rate, number of shaders, etc. and is influenced by how well various games perform on SLI. Some games (i.e. benchies) show almost no benefit from SLI.

I'll look for some other benchies and see how they compare. Interesting issue, Tom's may have stepped on their extremity...
In alot of casses SLI makes little difference in others it does but either way I would love to see where the GTS gets owned by the 7950GX2 .

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?full=1&set_albumName=8800Showdown&id=NFSCarbon&option=com_gallery&Itemid=&include=view_photo.php

http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?full=1&set_albumName=8800Showdown&id=Oblivion&option=com_gallery&Itemid=&include=view_photo.php

http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?full=1&set_albumName=8800Showdown&id=GRAW&option=com_gallery&Itemid=&include=view_photo.php

I mean if you are talking crank up the res and high settings the GTS murders the 7950 and we are still in beta driver stage with the 8800's its a real no brainer there is no doubts that the 8800 is on top , I dont think anybody questions that fact . Nvidia would not release its new line if the old line was faster, I mean hello? What planet are we on here ?

Aprox

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Kermit, SLI really only shines at higher resolutions with high AA and AF settings. Anything below 1680x1050 and 1280x1024 SLI wont really benefit you at all. For higher resolutions SLI performs much better than single cards.

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Not enough to jusify the costs I have yet to see where it reaches a good $ for performance level ratio. Unless your a madman and SLI 8800GTX's that would be insane there is nothing out there that can push that kind of a setup, and talk about your bottle necks ....I mean you need some real CPU pushing power with this as well, I am installing my E6600 tommorow my 4600X2 is great but its holding me back .

epk

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
to ghoulscout... how much is the difference for a 8800gts with the step up program? (i noticed you got an evga)

GhoulScout

OSNN Addict
I don't think I can do the step-up program as I bought the card used. That GTS sounds like a really nice card, and considering the price even better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lennerttt