new video card!

Sorry I wanted to point out the differences that are talked about between the GTX and the GTS not any quad setups and that the single GTS beats out the SLI'ed 7950GX2's ....

Last edited:
A single 7950GX2 is two 7900 GT(x?)'s put together for those that do not know. It is a SLi setup, two of these cards equals quad Sli. A single 8800GTS beats a single 7950GX2 but not a quad setup.

It might be confusing to some lemme break it down into a list.

7900 GT/GTX = Single Card, One GPU - Single Slot
7900 GT/GTX SLI = Two Cards, Dual GPU's - Two Slots

7950 GT = Single Card, One GPU - Single Slot
7950 GT SLI = Two Cards, Dual GPU's - Two Slots

7950 GX2 = Single Card, Dual GPU's - Single Slot
7950 GX2 SLI = Two Cards, Quad GPU's - Two Slots

8800 GTS/GTX = Single Card, One GPU - Single Slot
8800 GTS/GTX SLI = Two Cards, Dual GPU's - Two Slots

A 8800 GTS beats everything up to a SLi (quad) 7950GX2, and a 8800 GTX beats everything.

Last edited:
Take it back? No, I wont do that. I will correct myself however. According to Toms Hardware it appears that the GTS and GTX are faster than anything else. However THG don't have the best track record when it comes to benchmarks.

Also, please use some commas or periods or something in your post... I had to read it like 5 times to understand what you were even saying. :p

Take it back? No, I wont do that. I will correct myself however. According to Toms Hardware it appears that the GTS and GTX are faster than anything else. However THG don't have the best track record when it comes to benchmarks.

Also, please use some commas or periods or something in your post... I had to read it like 5 times to understand what you were even saying. :p

Well I will use , and . when you take that back :lick:

as if I care in the end , I was going to go with some form of SLI then I looked around and saw that there was no reason to with the 8800 I did not need tochange motherboards nor buy a 1000watt PSU , anyways in the end I am sure my 8800GTS will be beat by ATI and it starts again .

Maybe, Maybe not. The 8800GTS is a beast of a card as everyone knows now. With drivers getting better all the time the performance will only get better. Don't be so sure the R600 will beat the 8 series so easily either, we will have to wait and see on that one.

Something is wrong with those benchies. They show the 7950 GT as much faster than a 7950 GX2. That is plain wrong. The GX2 is a single board SLI of the 7950 chip using 32 BIT internal PCI-e. They did not have the right drivers installed or the setup was not correct for the GX2 to run properly.

My comment was based on evaluation of the hardware - GPU and RAM speed, memory bus width, pixel fill rate, number of shaders, etc. and is influenced by how well various games perform on SLI. Some games (i.e. benchies) show almost no benefit from SLI.

I'll look for some other benchies and see how they compare. Interesting issue, Tom's may have stepped on their extremity...

Last edited:
Something is wrong with those benchies. They show the 7950 GT as much faster than a 7950 GX2. That is plain wrong. The GX2 is a single board SLI of the 7950 chip using 32 BIT internal PCI-e. They did not have the right drivers installed or the setup was not correct for the GX2 to run properly.

My comment was based on evaluation of the hardware - GPU and RAM speed, memory bus width, pixel fill rate, number of shaders, etc. and is influenced by how well various games perform on SLI. Some games (i.e. benchies) show almost no benefit from SLI.

I'll look for some other benchies and see how they compare. Interesting issue, Tom's may have stepped on their extremity...

In alot of casses SLI makes little difference in others it does but either way I would love to see where the GTS gets owned by the 7950GX2 .

http://www.bcchardware.com/index.ph...on=com_gallery&Itemid=&include=view_photo.php

http://www.bcchardware.com/index.ph...on=com_gallery&Itemid=&include=view_photo.php

I mean if you are talking crank up the res and high settings the GTS murders the 7950 and we are still in beta driver stage with the 8800's its a real no brainer there is no doubts that the 8800 is on top , I dont think anybody questions that fact . Nvidia would not release its new line if the old line was faster, I mean hello? What planet are we on here ?

Kermit, SLI really only shines at higher resolutions with high AA and AF settings. Anything below 1680x1050 and 1280x1024 SLI wont really benefit you at all. For higher resolutions SLI performs much better than single cards.

Not enough to jusify the costs I have yet to see where it reaches a good $ for performance level ratio. Unless your a madman and SLI 8800GTX's that would be insane there is nothing out there that can push that kind of a setup, and talk about your bottle necks ....I mean you need some real CPU pushing power with this as well, I am installing my E6600 tommorow my 4600X2 is great but its holding me back .

to ghoulscout... how much is the difference for a 8800gts with the step up program? (i noticed you got an evga)

I don't think I can do the step-up program as I bought the card used. That GTS sounds like a really nice card, and considering the price even better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back